Garage Loft - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #1

Garage loft

My garage is just tall enough to sneak in a 18' x8' if I just 2x4s as joists. I wold like to use this loft as a workshop so a few bench tools and work tables and at most 4 people would be up there at any given time. I can attach to the exposed studs of the back wall of my garage and the floating front beam can be a 2x12 if needed. But I can't have any stand alone posts in the center because it is still a garage and I need to park a car in there. I can, however, hang "posts" from my open ceiling 2x8 rafters to make up for the lack of posts.

So my questions are: With the hanging posts every 6' supporting the 18' span, how small a beam can I get away with? ( I can double up the beam as well ) And since I still need to allow for an existing door swing, can I get away with 2x4 floor joist on 12" centers with 3/4 ply decking to support the weight over the 8' width of the loft. Again all my rafters and wall studs are exposed and can be tied into with as much additional support as needed. I can even put hanging posts I. The center of my loft if I have too. The only limitations are the 2x4 floor joists and the fact that I can't put any posts to the floor along the 18' span.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
SaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2015, 09:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 572

No, you can not safely do this.

I'm certain I will be contradicted by the local experts.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griz For This Useful Post:
ron45 (10-06-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2015, 11:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 125

Need some pictures. But what you like have are trusses which hold up the roof . Trusses are a precisely engineered structure and are not designed to hold weight, that is act as floor. You should even use this space for storage much less people and bench tools.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement