Garage Flooring Debacle - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2016, 06:49 PM   #1

Garage flooring debacle

So here is my problem. I have a garage that has a basement under it. It's made with wood timbers every 2 feet and 2x10's over them. About half of the floor has a thin layer (3inches) of concrete with rebar over the wood. The concrete is pretty cracked up and the wood in a couple spots needs to be replaced so the concrete is going to be ripped up.
I am wondering what flooring I can put on this floor like plywood over the 2x10's and put something on top of the plywood. Any ideas anyone. I'm usually pretty good figuring this out but just at a loss
The garage portion that I need redone is used for mechanic work like right now I have a engine swap going on and in the other part of the L is used for parking.
I was thinking covering the 2x10's with 3/16 sheet steel and stitch welding them here and there. Hoping to get some good ideas that would work for me
Ruppie18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2016, 10:03 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,990

Re: Garage flooring debacle

I'm thinking that the main reason the concrete veneer cracked is because there was still flex in the 2X10s and allowed it to stress crack.

So most masonry flooring will be out., and Steel will be so slick when wet that you can't have any spills, or wash it out, without cleaning it RIGHT NOW.

You might try a tight mesh re-wire reinforcement in a new concrete surface, or something else that might be suggested by another later.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #3

I could use diamond plate for steel. There is rebar and wire expanded motel in the floor. The cracks aren't that bad considering the conditions and the age of it. Building was built in 1900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #4

What about racedeck.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Douggerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:32 PM   #5
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppie18 View Post
I could use diamond plate for steel. There is rebar and wire expanded motel in the floor. The cracks aren't that bad considering the conditions and the age of it. Building was built in 1900
Long ago I worked in the oil drilling business, all their floors are diamond plate steel.

It is still slick when it gets wet. And you will still need to keep it dry, th prevent slips and falls, as we get older we don't get up near as fast as we did when we were young.

And it hurts a lot more.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #6
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 1,360

Out of curiosity, do you have any pictures? Maybe I'm not picturing it properly, but it sounds like concrete was laid over essentially residential joists.

Your idea of metal sheeting would be the best, and I'm sure you could paint the floor with some kind of grip. I think new concrete may have the same issue as the old concrete, being a brittle surface over a flexible one.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:03 PM   #7

New smooth concrete is slippery too. I do think my best bet is steel (smooth) 3/16 or 1/8. I use a creeper a lot and the diamond plate sucks for that.
I do not have any pictures but I can get some. Its an interesting structure. It needs a lot of attention but the bones of it are SOLID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement