Flooring For A New Guy To The Country - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2015, 08:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flooring for a new guy to the country

I think I might just be the most dangerous DIY guy here... I am from South Africa so I am used houses being built with brick and concrete (even interior walls are brick.
I am an avid DIY guy, but there are just some things that are still a little foreign for me - so I am glad I found this forum.

That being said, here I go with remodeling my bathroom

I had a standard size tub in my bathroom, and a contactor grade vanity and toilet, all of which I have removed.
I had a leak somewhere from the tub/shower combo, so I tore out all of the drywall around the tub area, and will replace that with hardyboard so I can tile over that.

My question is more about the floor.
Under the tub, there is particle board on top of a plywood board. The bottom layer of plywood I suspect runs throughout the bathroom. The balance of the bathroom (outside of the tub area) is another layer of plywood, which had tile on it. I have removed the tile (well almost done).

I do need to remove the particle board layer because it did get wet and buckled a bit.
The tile that I removed 4" x 4" tiles, was not very level, it was kind of "wavy", could just have been a bad tile job, or the plywood under that.

I am planning to make a zero-curb shower instead of the tub and use a QuickdrainUSA linear drain.

I was thinking of removing the entire top layer of sub-floor (particle board and plywood) and replace it all with hardyboard or durock, and then tile on top of that. It seems like that will provide a stable surface, waterproof the room, and be a good surface to tile on.

Is this wise?
Do I screw it to the underlying plywood or nail it?
Do I glue it down as well?
Or do I stop being silly and replace it with plywood?

Any tips or advice will be most welcome.

Oh, I am replacing the tile with 6" x 10" ceramic tile on the floor.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Flooring for a new guy to the country-20150716_102612.jpg  
GreenSpringbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2015, 08:14 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 218

Set the cement tile backer in thin set mortar and screw down with the backer board screws.

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2015, 08:57 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

If you have particle board on top of the plywood subfloor--remove it---it puffs up and falls apart in a bathroom--

You may need a new layer of 1/2" BC plywood on top the the subfloor---
Then a tile backer---as rjniles mentioned---the backer is set into wet thinset ,like a huge tile--then nailed with roofing nails or screw---1/4" is fine for floors---

A powdered modified thinset is what you will want to set the tiles---the same can be used to set the backer---
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2015, 09:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,376

Read your post twice and it sounded to me like you think you can just lay tile board on the joist and start tiling.
Tile board does not add any strength to the floor and can not be used as the only subfloor.
Need at least plywood or better yet use Advantec as a subfloor.
You also can not have a dead flat floor and just add a drain and expect the water to run just into the drain.
Wait for a real tile guy to walk you though this.
rusty baker (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 10:10 PM   #5

joecaption... sorry if my initial explanation was wordy and yet still not well explained.

No, I don't want to place tile board straight onto the joists... I figured I need to place it on the plywood - and I was going to leave the existing plywood.

I have since done a bit more reading, and it seems like it might be best to pull everything down to the joists (which are 16 OC) and then start building up with 3/4" plywood (T&G or I was actually looking at Advantec from TW Perry)

Then, on top of that 3/4" place a backerboard, but I still don't know what is best, Hardy, Durock, cementboard??

Then, my other question was, do I glue and screw my first layer to the joists?

Do I then just thinset and screw my second layer (backboard / tileboard) to the plywood?

Then, I will tile on top of the backerboard obviously.

The last thing I want is a squeaking floor, or something that flexes and my tiles crack - I believe in doing things right, or as right as possible anyway. So I am not afraid to do the extra work, I just don't want to go over-board for no good reason either.

Thanks for the tips so far, very much appreciated.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 18,376

Need to know the size of the joist, and what there unsupport span is before going anything.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:30 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

what is your moisture barrier? So far you have not included one.

as was alluded to by joe as well: you have to build a slope into the floor to cause the water to run to the drain, especially since you intend to install a no curb shower. If you don't you are going to have water running all over the bathroom floor. Personally I have never liked a no curb shower. I would suggest at least a shallow 1/2 threshold or such to keep the water from running out or pushed out as you move around in the shower and there is some standing water in the shower.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:32 PM   #8

Each joist is 7 1/4" high x 1 1/2" wide
They sit on a wall and steel structure beam which are 11ft apart

Also, some joists are little closer to each other than others under the bathroom, I guess to support where the bath was, and then under the door they are also doubled up.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:37 PM   #9

sorry, I also forgot to reply to the slope question... I will be using the QuickDrainUSA quickslope solution, that provides the slope from the back of the shower to the linear drain the spans the entire shower doorway. 2" on the other side of the drain will be the door, which will have a shallow 1/4" track.

So, I think, unless there is something I missed, I have the slope issue. (Comments welcome! )

As for moisture barrier, I was going to use Redgaurd on my backerboard - but I still don't know what it the best, Durock or Hardy or whatever else.

My other option is just to go with WEDI for walls and floor, but that seems pretty expensive.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:44 PM   #10
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

as to the best backer; I'll leave that to others but the Hardie product want to use (if using a hardie product) would be Hardiebacker which is basically a cement board. Hardie board usually is used when referring to their line of siding products.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
as to the best backer; I'll leave that to others but the Hardie product want to use (if using a hardie product) would be Hardiebacker which is basically a cement board. Hardie board usually is used when referring to their line of siding products.
Thanks for that correction - Hardiebacker it is.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:55 AM   #12
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

I checked a deflection chart----you are fine for tile---but not natural stone--
Old 07-18-2015, 09:34 AM   #13

Thanks!

So, when I lay my first layer, which I think I will go with Advantec, do I also keep a 1/8th gap between adjoining sheets? This is TiG so I already feel like that was a stupid question, but sometimes no question is stupid.... Right :-)?

The second layer of Cement board... What do I put in the 1/8" gaps, or does the thinset just drift in there? I feel like I am missing something.

Lastly, what glue do I use to stick the Advantec to the joists?
Old 07-19-2015, 10:33 PM   #14
Get out of the box!

Rewards Points: 260

CBUs are fine but I would use ProVa Flex, I have not installed a CBU in 9 years, no reason for it, its a waste of time and money and your end result may fail anyway if the house moves.
I am a Quick Drain dealer and I have the best solution for any linear drain, send me a PM, I will walk you through it.
26yrsinflooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
subfloor bathroom