Flooring Conundrum, In Need Of Ideas - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2014, 12:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flooring conundrum, in need of ideas

Hello!! My husband and I are new to DIYing our 1947 cape cod style house. But, for the first time, we've hit a "wall".

We pulled up the carpet in our dining room and are refinishing yet another section of hardwood maple flooring. These floors are beautiful. Seamless transition from one room to another...but with one exception.

Between the dining room and the bathroom (which we believe use to be a bedroom), there is a crudely placed painted 2x4 flush with the hardwoods. Perhaps there was a wall there at one point and not a door....I don't know.

So, without tearing the 2x4 out and replacing the wood (yeah...Over my head in skill and time), what would be a decent idea for a threshold/transition? He wants to put a chunk of wood there for less of a floor/door gap. I say paint. (I can't say I care about a gap).

Thanks for your help and time!
Attached Thumbnails
Flooring conundrum,  in need of ideas-20140709_141518.jpg  
jahnmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 06:02 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Removing the 2x4 and shimming--then adding a maple board would be the correct and easiest way---

However,if a 'quick fix' is all right with you---buy a 1/2" thick maple board and round over both long edges--and lay it over the top of the 2x4---
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 09:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 18,384

Yes there was a wall there at one time.
They sell premade wooden thresholds, just cut to length and finish. Install with construction adhesive and a few long finish nails.
If that 2X sticks up to far it can be removed by making three cuts with an oscillating saw.
Cut the two ends and one cut in the middle and lift out with a flat bar from the middle.
The gap left can be filled with whatever thickness of wood needed to get it level with the hardwood.
rusty baker (07-14-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hardwoods , quick fix , remodel , transition