Flooring Before Or After Bathtub - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 86

Flooring Before or After Bathtub

My husband and I are remodeling the bathroom. I'm trying to figure out if we put in the bathtub, then the floor, or the floor then the bathtub. I'm reading online that when people do ceramic tile, they put the bathtub in, then tile the ceramic up to the bathtub. That's fine. It looks fine.

But what about other flooring? We're thinking of using Allure, and I hate the look of quarter round. Everybody wants to use quarter round to hide stuff. I can't stand it. Should we put in the Allure first, and put the bathtub over it (it's a 3 piece bath/shower), or should we put the bathtub in first and put the Allure up to it? If so, is there another way to do it besides using quarter round?
mrssp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 144

What type of tub?Fiberglass? Install the tub and then the flooring.No corner bead but a nice bead of caulk.Some tubs require a mud bed under them.
What kind of Allure for the flooring.The planks would be a bad idea IMHO.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2016, 03:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
What type of tub?Fiberglass? Install the tub and then the flooring.No corner bead but a nice bead of caulk.Some tubs require a mud bed under them.
What kind of Allure for the flooring.The planks would be a bad idea IMHO.
Yes, a fiberglass tub. It's a 3 piece with the dome top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2016, 04:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 22

Is Allure laminate flooring? If so never use it in a wet area water will destroy it very fast. Ceramic or porcelin is the best. I agree with Mako caulk it.
frankrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrad View Post
Is Allure laminate flooring? If so never use it in a wet area water will destroy it very fast. Ceramic or porcelin is the best. I agree with Mako caulk it.
No, Allure tile is floating vinyl. You just peel the tape off the edges and stick one to the other.

I don't want ceramic because I HATE grout. It gets dirty. I would be obsessive about it and clean it with a toothbrush every week. Ain't nobody got time for that...
Old 02-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrssp View Post
No, Allure tile is floating vinyl. You just peel the tape off the edges and stick one to the other.

I don't want ceramic because I HATE grout. It gets dirty. I would be obsessive about it and clean it with a toothbrush every week. Ain't nobody got time for that...
Ok I used that in my waiting room for my business. It holds up well and you can mop it. The only down side is it will scratch if you drag something like a chair across it. But since you're using it in your bath it will be fine. Good luck!
frankrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:24 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 32

Ya just be careful cutting it so you have a even 1/8" gap or less, Then caulk it with a color matched acrylic caulk using the tape method(youtube it).
surfing_santa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surfing_santa For This Useful Post:
mrssp (02-09-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement