Floorboard Gap Let's Bugs In - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes

Old 10-23-2018, 04:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

floorboard gap let's bugs in

Hello everyone, I have a feeling my 6 legged friends are getting into my apartment from the floorboard. I haven't been able to confirm because I'm not sure how to pull the carpet away without causing too much damage. I'd like to pull it away so I can calk and seal any gaps along this wall. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
raffikaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: floorboard gap let's bugs in

We need more info than that. What's under the carpet & the floor boards? Is it a crawl space? What attracting them, food, water?
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2018, 05:09 PM   #3

I'm not sure what's under there because I haven't pulled the carpet up. Here is what I can tell you I live on the 4th floor of an apartment building. There is no food and water attracting them as I keep the place very clean. My guess is they are scouting for food and water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2018, 05:24 PM   #4
Guapo

I live in an apartment building too. I never see an insect other than a mosquito. Who is in the apartment below you? Do your neighbors have the same problem? Does an exterminator visit monthly?
raffikaz likes this.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:27 PM   #5
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,522

If you got critters you need to exterminate. No amount of crack sealing will stop them.
It may help, but they will find a new crack.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,098

An outside flood light can attract a lot of insects which in turn attracts spiders.
As for sealing your home, from a spiders point of view "not going to happen". Being on the 4th floor solves many insect problems.

Any night lights on the outside of the building near you.

Bud
raffikaz likes this.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:51 PM   #7

The building is a large hallowed out square so the the center of the building is open air. There are metal gates that separate the hallway from walking over the edge of the floor you live on and the hallways do have some lighting. The insects are 6 legged so not spiders. The problem is roaches and they live in the building. I know I can't treat the entire building but one of the neighbors was able to successfully keep them out by sealing up the space between the carpet and the floorboard and another space behind her dishwasher. Unfortunately for me this neighbor has moved away. The landlord won't do anything about the problem and the other tenants have told me they have the same problem but they won't file a complaint. The health department is joke, unless they see one alive and crawling around they won't write a report. To see them they need to come at night as these creatures are active at night time. However the health department will not come at night. I have been pretty successful at keeping them out I rarely see them now but this is one last spot I want to try and seal up.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
If you got critters you need to exterminate. No amount of crack sealing will stop them.
It may help, but they will find a new crack.
I have an exterminator come twice a month, he does a very good job. The building sends there own exterminator once a month, this guy is useless he may as well be spraying water. And before anyone asks me why I don't move, including the cost of the exterminator I hired my rent is still cheaper then if I move to anyone of the other buildings in or out of the area. Rent in LA has skyrocketed and it doesn't make sense to move if I can do something about it myself. Plus I've never been a quitter. So now can anyone tell me how to pull up the carpet without causing damage please?
Old 10-23-2018, 06:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guap0_ View Post
I live in an apartment building too. I never see an insect other than a mosquito. Who is in the apartment below you? Do your neighbors have the same problem? Does an exterminator visit monthly?
Hi, yes they have admitted they also have a problem. In fact the onsite building manager has told me they are the cause of the problem. I cannot confirm this but I don't doubt it. I have my own exterminator come twice a month and now instead of seeing them everyday I see 1 or 2 a month. The building has there own exterminator, and this guy is useless. He did spray my apartment once a week for a month when I threatened legal action and the problem didn't go away and it didn't get any better.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:47 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,754

Your carpet is probably held down around the edge with tack strips, long strips of wood with tiny nails sticking up that grab the carpet and hold it. You could probably pull it up by hand but getting it back under all the way can be a problem. When the carpet is installed it is stretched with those tools that carpet installers kick with their knee.

Might be better to either find a bug repellent with a long red tube on the end and go around and treat the baseboards.

Or, you can look for something to stuff under there like maybe filler rod from Home Depot. It's round foam that comes in various diameters on a roll. Also check your doors to the outside, you may have adjustable thresholds that you can raise. It's the time of year to tighten up door seals.
raffikaz likes this.
ChuckF. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:03 AM   #11
Guapo

Quote:
He did spray my apartment once a week for a month when I threatened legal action and the problem didn't go away and it didn't get any better.
Spray is outdated. They use a gel here. "A little dab 'ill do ya," just like Brylcreem.
raffikaz likes this.

Last edited by joed; 10-24-2018 at 09:52 AM. Reason: fix quote tag
Old 10-24-2018, 10:09 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 4,406

Okay, I know how I solved the problem for the six years of apartment living.

The carpet is tucked under wooden baseboard and abutted to vinyl.

If wooden baseboards just pull the carpet from under the baseboard and leave on the tac strips if possible. If not just rent a kicker but it's best just to get the carpet company to come out and re-tac the carpet.

Purchase several big containers of boric acid, roach bombs, box of big trashbags, spackling, caulk, and wood putty.

Behind all appliances including heating and air conditioning spread a good amount of boric acid.
Pour boric acid in all wall cavities, around water pipes etc., in between carpet and wall, down beside electrical by removing covers, inside metal door jams.

Don't be scared to put a lot of boric acid down.

Now spackle around the pipe holes, stuff the door jambs holes and caulk but leave room for door to close.
Spackle picture holes and use another means of hanging pictures.

Wash all dishes and place in sealed trashbags.
Wash all clothes and seal in trashbags,

Turn all furniture and bedding upside down

Set off 1 bomb in each room and hall way.

Warning: Leave for 24 hours and when you return leave the windows open for 1 hour.

Vacuum all the dead roaches up.

Clean all areas such as, bathtub, table, counter tops, etc..

Caulk all around baseboards, windows, doorways, etc..

I didn't see not one bug or even a spider for the six years I lived there.

And at night put a rug or towel in front of the door.
ron45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron45 View Post
Okay, I know how I solved the problem for the six years of apartment living.

The carpet is tucked under wooden baseboard and abutted to vinyl.

If wooden baseboards just pull the carpet from under the baseboard and leave on the tac strips if possible. If not just rent a kicker but it's best just to get the carpet company to come out and re-tac the carpet.

Purchase several big containers of boric acid, roach bombs, box of big trashbags, spackling, caulk, and wood putty.

Behind all appliances including heating and air conditioning spread a good amount of boric acid.
Pour boric acid in all wall cavities, around water pipes etc., in between carpet and wall, down beside electrical by removing covers, inside metal door jams.

Don't be scared to put a lot of boric acid down.

Now spackle around the pipe holes, stuff the door jambs holes and caulk but leave room for door to close.
Spackle picture holes and use another means of hanging pictures.

Wash all dishes and place in sealed trashbags.
Wash all clothes and seal in trashbags,

Turn all furniture and bedding upside down

Set off 1 bomb in each room and hall way.

Warning: Leave for 24 hours and when you return leave the windows open for 1 hour.

Vacuum all the dead roaches up.

Clean all areas such as, bathtub, table, counter tops, etc..

Caulk all around baseboards, windows, doorways, etc..

I didn't see not one bug or even a spider for the six years I lived there.

And at night put a rug or towel in front of the door.
Hi ron45, I've done all of this well the exterminator did but the only thing he couldn't do is seal up the gap between the floorboard and the wall. I'm not even sure there is a gap I guess I'll just have to check or I can try that filler rod like ChuckF. suggested. Thank you very much!
Old 10-24-2018, 08:34 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 4,406

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffikaz View Post
Hi ron45, I've done all of this well the exterminator did but the only thing he couldn't do is seal up the gap between the floorboard and the wall. I'm not even sure there is a gap I guess I'll just have to check or I can try that filler rod like ChuckF. suggested. Thank you very much!
If you do it the way I said you will be the only one not having bugs.

The exterminator cannot compete because of all the other tenants doing nothing. When one bombs the bugs just go to another apartment and wait.

It's a lot work but only needs to be done once and last a long time.

If you can talk your neighbors into at least filling the wall cavities with boric acid that would give you and the exterminator a fighting chance.

If not, well, then good luck.
ron45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:24 AM   #15
Guapo

Quote:
The exterminator cannot compete because of all the other tenants doing nothing. When one bombs the bugs just go to another apartment and wait.
That is 100% correct. If it's a rental property, has the landlord been contacted? If it's a coop, talk to the board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement