Floor Remodeling - Asbestos - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 164

Floor remodeling - asbestos

My home was built in 1967. The floor in the bathroom and the carpet in two bedroom s desperately needs to be replaced. It will def need to be done before we sell. I have a 15mo old and one of the bedrooms is his. The previous owner put laminate down and ceramic in the main living areas and my husband put down laminate in the dining area and our bedroom. At the time, I never thought a thing about asbestos, but since having a child I'm much more aware of my environment.

I don't think the tiles (appear to be vinyl stick tiles) it the carpet is original. It looks too modern. How do I know if its safe to just pull it up and the carpet ? Especially with a small child? I am probably only dealing with glue or residues underneath at this point BC it appears the floors have been redone before.
boondocks95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2015, 03:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2

First of all, asbestos is safe if you leave it alone.

Second, in the 60s abestos-vinyl floor tiles were popular. Also patterned rolled flooring from that period was often asbestos-reinforced.
JourneymanBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2015, 04:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 18,118

Reread your post, not really sure what your asking.
Why does the old tiles need to come out?
What's are you going to lay down for flooring in that area?
What size are the tiles?
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2015, 04:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 109

Vinyl stick on tiles probably do not contain asbestos. The most common tiles which do are the 9 inch x 9 inch sq tiles. They tend to be quite brittle. Also the glue or mastic frequently contained asbestos. To set your mind at ease take a small sample of the glue and the tile for testing .
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:12 PM   #5

Guess my point was if you not removing the tiles there is no issue.
If your going to install laminite or carpet for flooring there is no need to remove the old tiles.
JazMan (04-02-2015), JourneymanBrian (04-03-2015), rusty baker (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 05:19 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,064

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimn01 View Post
Vinyl stick on tiles probably do not contain asbestos. The most common tiles which do are the 9 inch x 9 inch sq tiles. They tend to be quite brittle. Also the glue or mastic frequently contained asbestos. To set your mind at ease take a small sample of the glue and the tile for testing .
Actually 12 x12 tiles containing asbestos were common for years.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
griz (10-22-2015), JazMan (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimn01
Vinyl stick on tiles probably do not contain asbestos. The most common tiles which do are the 9 inch x 9 inch sq tiles.
Absolutely, not true. The size of the tiles and their thickness has nothing to do with whether they contain asbestos.

Asphalt tiles contained asbestos and were mostly 9x9x1/8 although lots of em were also made 3/32 thick. But I saw some that were 12x12x1/8" and even 3/16" thick. Not common, but....... Vinyl asbestos tiles were made from the mid '50's till into the '80's. At first they were mostly 9x9x1/6" for residential mostly and 3/32 & ⅛" thick for commercial. Later they also came in 12x12 and even other sizes.

I think the asbestos scare is another phony issue that shouldn't worry people as much as it does, but it's best to be careful. There's lot of reading available and companies that will be happy to take it away for you.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:43 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

No one knows when the last asbestos containing tiles were sold. After they quit production around 1978, they sold remaining stock for years.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:53 PM   #9

So no issues with the carpet? The carpet is warping and def has to come up. I will probably put vinyl back down in the bathroom or ceramic. I suggested just flooring over top of the vinyl but my husband says he wants it up. It doesn't look like old stuff to me but I am just guessing. Here is a pic of the vinyl. You can see the subfloor underneath where the tile isn't bumped up against the others.
Attached Thumbnails
Floor remodeling - asbestos-img_20150402_185018044_1428015226506.jpg  
Old 04-02-2015, 07:01 PM   #10

This is what the floor looks like in the water heater closet. I suspect this could have been in the bathroom at one time? Or something similar. It appears to be stick tiles as well. Someone did try to nail it down lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Floor remodeling - asbestos-img_20150402_190023_1428015687853.jpg  
Old 04-02-2015, 07:03 PM   #11

Carpet warping? Just needed to be restreached most likly.
Just looks like poorly laid super cheap DIY peel and stick tiles to me.
Going to have one gooey mess if you remove it.
Did I mess the post telling what you plan to install for a finished floor?
Old 04-03-2015, 07:43 AM   #12

The carpet just looks worn and I want to replace it. I'm fairly certain the previous owner installed it which would mean it is maybe 20 years old at most so would it be safe? Or do asbestos remnants stick around ?

In the bathroom we will probably put ceramic down or something similar to what is already in there. Does it look old enough to have asbestos glue in it?
Old 10-22-2015, 05:16 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 26

I too am wondering about flooring, especially asbestos being under or in the carpet.

In terms of carpet flooring, how are 60's house floors usually built? Concrete, then carpet over top? Any hidden layers I'm not aware of?
Mr.Hepafilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:13 PM   #14
Pro Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hepafilter View Post
I too am wondering about flooring, especially asbestos being under or in the carpet.

In terms of carpet flooring, how are 60's house floors usually built? Concrete, then carpet over top? Any hidden layers I'm not aware of?
No standard. Some people put tile down and maybe another tenant installed carpet. But I don't think anyone would ever intentionally put tile under carpet when a house was built and carpet never contained asbestos, that I have ever heard of in my 42 years in the business.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:43 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
No standard. Some people put tile down and maybe another tenant installed carpet. But I don't think anyone would ever intentionally put tile under carpet when a house was built and carpet never contained asbestos, that I have ever heard of in my 42 years in the business.
I appreciate your quick response. I think I see what you mean. When a house is first built, then I guess there would be no reason to put tile on a floor that is going to have carpet as the main surface.

I guess the tile and carpet thing happens when people later on in life decide they want carpets installed on a floor that might have previously had tile. And then instead of risking asbestos spread when removing tile, they just leave it alone and place the carpet over top?
Mr.Hepafilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement