Floor Leveler Vs. Concrete? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2015, 11:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Floor Leveler vs. Concrete?

So I am getting ready to tile a room in my basement floor. It is a concrete floor, but it is not level...its level until you get about 1.5-2 feet from the wall, and then it gets higher towards the wall. It is like this pretty much in the entire basement, some areas worse than others. I'm not wanting to tile the whole basement yet, just one 72 squre foot room of it. I bought 4 bags of floor leveler ($120!) and before I go and open these bags, I wanted to make sure theres not a cheaper option. Especially since I'm not sure if 4 bags will even be enough...there is a good 1 inch (or more) of height difference from the center of the room to the walls.

Why not just buy a bucn of 80 pound bags of quickrete and "re-do" the concrete floor? I realize I would have to use more concrete, and that it has to be thicker to not crack. The home depot website says 2 inches thick or more. But still, I feel this would be way cheaper than floor leveler. What if I wanted to pour a concrete floor in a new house, or driveway? It has to be level right? So why not level the floor this way instead of spending so much money on floor leveler?

I guess the drawback here is that I would have to make a "step-up" into the room because of the minimum 2inches of concrete I would have to pour over the existing floor. Thats not so bad, though right?
zoiberg137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2015, 11:49 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 768

Hi,

You should make the floor as flat as possible, level isn't necessary, although would also be nice. You didn't mention what leveler you bought, I'll assume it's a self leveling cement. (slc) A bag of that stuff does about 50 ft. @ ⅛" thick. But self leveling wants to flow level, so often you need more than first thought. Everyone wants to say "level" when flat is the correct term.

If you have the skill....... you can use Sand Topping Mix instead. I would adulterate it with more sand and bond it to the slab with thinset. You can go " or even a bit less. The 2" quote is the max recommended thickness. You'll still have a step up of course.

Any plans with the rest of the basement?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement