Floor Bouncing - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

floor bouncing

hey guys,

im having my kitchen redone... my laundry area is part of the kitchen.... i have front loading washer and dry that will be stack, the floor bounces like crazy from the washer.. i have a finished basement so moving them is not an option, i have a drop ceiling in the basement and there is no cross supports on any of the floor joists, ive had a few floor guys come over... and they all seem to say no need to... they will be installing the new floor with DITRA after screwing the old sub floor like "crazy" lol

i still find it weird that theres no cross supports?
Click4chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 302

You dont need to but it stiffens up the floor. So you should.
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 12:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,912

What size are the floor joist and what's the spans?
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 12:34 PM   #4

they are 16 inches on center and run about 11 feet long 7inches x1.5 inches...

the subfloor is 1/2 inch with a 1/4 inch on top of that

Last edited by Click4chips; 03-27-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 750

1/2" subfloor? Measure it again and read the marking from the basement. Don't commit to anything yet.

They told you 1/2" with Ditra is ok? Lock the doors, don't let them in again. Find a real tile setter.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #6

nono thats whats there now... 1/2 inch plus a 1/4 inch ontop....... my dinning room and living room are 3/4 of an inch higher(hardwood) then my kitchen... so half the house.. we are going to making it level ... i just dont want to do all this work to have the tiles crack,

so on the hardwood side... its 1/2 inch subfloor and who ever owned the house before me put another 1/2 inch then the hardwood (5/8)... and on the kitchen side its, 1/2 inch with 1/4inch on top then a linoleum floor...to be replace with tile

Last edited by Click4chips; 03-27-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #7
Tileguy

Slow down I am not understanding what you've got.

The subfloor is "the" wood that is directly over the joists. You said it's 1/2" ply. The 1/4" underlayment is useless and will go in the dumpster along with the vinyl flooring attached to it. So this area will be 1/2" ply over the joists, right?

The other area is? !/2" subfloor with 1/2" underlayment over it then the hardwood, right? Hardwood is staying?

So what's the plan to install ceramic/porcelain tiles? Is tile going only in the kitchen?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
Old 03-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #8

correct...

the tile i think im going with is CV AMALFI Bianco 13x13x 3/8, in the kitchen, hallway to the front enterance total of about 210 sqf

Last edited by Click4chips; 03-27-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:14 PM   #9
Tileguy

My question is, how will they install the tiles, what method? Starting with what will they do to the 1/2" subfloor? Did you check to be sure the subfloor is really 1/2"? You mentioned Ditra, but anything else first?

Any idea what species and grade your 2 x 8" joists are? Can you measure their span accurately? Not the entire length of the joists, just the span where there is nothing under them.

Jaz

Old 03-27-2014, 02:21 PM   #10

the subfloor is 100% 1/2inch , im not sure what type of wood it is or the method of install...

so under the kitchen is a bedroom in the basement and the joist run from the ouside wall to the middle of the house where the steel beam is and thats 11 ish feet so theres noting under them
Old 03-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #11

and also... im going to have granite any concern there? with the floor supporting that as well?
Old 03-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #12
Tileguy

ahhhhhhh. ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click
the subfloor is 100% 1/2inch , im not sure what type of wood it is or the method of install...
The reason I keep axing is that most plywood is thinner than its stated thickness. 1/2" may not measure 1/2". I was hoping the underside of the sheets were stamped 5/8" or 19/32". If it's not too much trouble can you take a look-see?

Although it's also important, I was not asking the species of the plywood. I'm asking the species and grade of the joists. They should have stampings on them.

Quote:
the joist run from the ouside wall to the middle of the house where the steel beam is
Yes right, that's the way is has to be. And the span is the distance from the beginning to beginning of the supports. Is it still 11 ft?

You also said; You don't know the proposed
Quote:
method of install...
And why is that? That's the most important part of a successful job. Please find out before it's too late. Get the details including names of materials.

Jaz

Old 03-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #13

floor bouncing

Well u are correct it's stamped 5/8 but I mean I put a measuring tape to it and it reads 1/2 in 4 different locations I even have a little hole where I've made then kitchen entrance wider... There's a little hole in the subfloor and I stick the measuring tape down and it says 1/2 weird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2014, 02:48 PM   #15
Tileguy

Quote:
Well u are correct it's stamped 5/8
Well, of course I'm right, I can see it from here!

It should read 19/32", plus the tape has play and you're looking at an angle. When was your house built?

Ok, now tell me what they're gonna do to prepare the floor for tiles? Using what stuff?

** Just saw the hole with tape. Unless my eyes are real bad, that's not plywood. Looks like OSB to me. Confirm please.

Jaz

Last edited by JazMan; 03-27-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement