Floating Wood Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2014, 08:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 151

Floating wood flooring

I understand that a floating floor needs room to expand and contract BUT if you have a 500 pound piece of furniture sitting in the middle of the floor how in the heck can it float?
razorbak57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 09:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

It just expands around the furniture.. If you have an object that is heavy enough to prevent the "floating" movement of the floor, the floor will just expand in the areas it can.. This is usually adequate enough for most purposes.

And yes, if you place two very heavy objects on the floor a distance apart in such a fashion that it prevents expansion in that area, the floor will buckle in the middle during hot humid days.

Floating floors are crap.. I consider them "all show and no go".. Imagine if you bought a Lamborghini only to open the hood and find go-cart engine in there...

Lay some real 3/4 thick wood strip and do it right! Its you're home yes?
PaulBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 09:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

i agree with paul, the floor will move enough no matter what you put on it but like paul said,they are cheap crap,unlike srip flooring once you scratch deep enough the floor is destroyed.old school flooring can be sanded floating floor is mostly vaneered .good luck
richo1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbak57 View Post
I understand that a floating floor needs room to expand and contract BUT if you have a 500 pound piece of furniture sitting in the middle of the floor how in the heck can it float?
i had the same concern once, with a refrigerator. i ended up putting a layer of plywood under the fridge. and running the flooring up to it.

laminate/engineered flooring. many people don't like it, thats fine. but it does have its place. and is not as bad as many would have you believe.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 12:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
i had the same concern once, with a refrigerator. i ended up putting a layer of plywood under the fridge. and running the flooring up to it.

laminate/engineered flooring. many people don't like it, thats fine. but it does have its place. and is not as bad as many would have you believe.
After I installed my parents flooring I was curious how something heavy sitting on it and it could float and yes everyone has his own opinion. My parents love the laminate that I installed. Looks great and feels great.
razorbak57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement