Fastest Way To Remove Thinset And Ceramic Tile In Case Putting Wood Later - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2015, 01:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 452

fastest way to remove thinset and ceramic tile in case putting wood later

I've seen all the stuff on the internet and still don't have a clear idea.

I don't want to use a diamond disk because the dust will be unmanageable and expensive.

So all there's left are hammering power tools.

Which tool removes most of the thinset off a concrete slab the fastest for a pretty even surface for future floating wood floor?

I need to make a decision now that takes the distant future into account.

Criteria-
1. tenant-proof flooring now, which doesn't require replacement for a long long time.
2. easy removal later for sale of house.
pman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2015, 11:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 866

You may want to look at this thread .

If it was a large surace area, I would go rent a floor maintainer and diamabrush whelr for about $100. I made a scraper bit as I have to do several small areas one at a time. (If I had the time I might have paid $80 to order one.) For about $60 you can rent a nice Makita power hammer and a professional scraper at the HD.
Klawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 474

I myself would look at putting the thin cement board down, then latter all you have to do is pull it up and you are all set to go.

BrowneBearLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2015, 02:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 104

Thinset is a Portland cement product that hardens to a concrete finish beneath the tiles. If you have old thinset still on the subfloor, it is possible to tile over it, but you may need to prepare the floor in one of several ways like

- The best option to smooth out the old thinset and prepare it for new tiles is to grind it down.
- If you only have a small amount of old thinset that you need to tile over, use a self-leveling floor compound to smooth out the entire floor.
marks.fletchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:12 AM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear
I myself would look at putting the thin cement board down, then latter all you have to do is pull it up and you are all set to go.
Absolutely wrong. Apparently you don't spread thinset under the backer as you install it. That's a rookie DIY mistake.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement