Dry Rotted Carpet Pad Stuck To Hardwood - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes

Old 07-24-2018, 08:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 64

Dry rotted carpet pad stuck to hardwood

I recently removed some 50 year old shag carpeting from the house and the green carpet padding is totally dry rotted to the wood. It isn't gummy it is like a hard packed powder or cement with some loose areas turning to dust/smaller pieces.

I've been at it with a medium sized scrapper but in most places it is amazingly hard. It can take a half an hour of chisseling over and over to do just a few ft2. I have nearly 1000ft2 of it.

-I tried ammonia/water nothing.
-drill brush too hard no effect
-drill wire wheel still little effect.
-heat gun on maximum hoovering on one area it gets a little gooey/flexible and can be scraped off but even slower than manual scraper.
-tried renting floor buffer and coarsest buffing pad. Buffer just spun out of control the second it got power.
-Citristrip turns it into goo but it is too expensive for 1000ft2 and makes a huge mess.

Any suggestions? Angle grinder with diamond cup or Diamabrush?
sschoe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2018, 08:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 996

Re: Dry rotted carpet pad stuck to hardwood

belt sander. the larger the better.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2018, 08:28 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 1,650

Probably what they called "bubblerubber". It actually was made from a clay base and turned back to a hard clay when it got old. Almost impossible to remove without sanding.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Probably what they called "bubblerubber". It actually was made from a clay base and turned back to a hard clay when it got old. Almost impossible to remove without sanding.
Yep so far I haven't found any efficient way to remove it. I tried ammonia, vinnegar, mineral spirits, boiling water. It just sits on top of it. The only success I've had is with a long handled scraper which takes 30-60 minutes of just wacking and chisseling at it to get 1 Ft2 leaving some residue behind or heat gun, oven mit hand scraper. With the heat gun it has to be on maximum and held there for several minutes over one small spot to get it hot enough to soften and get with the scraper (it also set off the smoke alarm). It also took about 30 minutes for 1 ft2.

Wood Diamabrush on either an angle grinder or floor buffer?
Old 08-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,338

Try soaking it with cooking oil, can't remember what we used but it worked on the crap from the old indoor outdoor carpet.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Try soaking it with cooking oil, can't remember what we used but it worked on the crap from the old indoor outdoor carpet.
No help either. Long scraper or heat gun on some really bad areas seem to be only thing that is working. Even then some areas are just melted on and will have to be sanded and refinished looks like. I may try a little citristrip on the residual areas.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:46 PM   #7
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschoe2 View Post
No help either. Long scraper or heat gun on some really bad areas seem to be only thing that is working. Even then some areas are just melted on and will have to be sanded and refinished looks like. I may try a little citristrip on the residual areas.
We were working on a concrete floor and some oil was spilled by accident and not cleaned up right away. To bad, must be different type of rubber.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:56 PM   #8
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,524

Hard to believe you would need something this aggressive for a carpet pad, but maybe!
This is a floor scraping attachment used with a SDS demolition hammer

Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:27 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 328

The pad has probably bonded to the polyurethane finish not the wood.

Try a 50/50 mix of lacquer thinner and denatured alcohol. That will dissolve the poly (if that's what's there) and the pad residue should come up with it.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 368

Many tool rental shops including the Home Depot rent buffer heads that work great for this. One of the main ones is called a Dimabrush. They also have a couple of others that do the same thing.
Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:15 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,756

You can buy wide scraper blades that fit into a reciprocating saw; the working edge of the blade is at right angles to where a usual reciprocating saw blade would be. It has a kind of Grade-B horror movie look. Lowes.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awoodfloorguy View Post
Many tool rental shops including the Home Depot rent buffer heads that work great for this. One of the main ones is called a Dimabrush. They also have a couple of others that do the same thing.
Yea I was thinking diamabrush. I may try some ethanol (denatured alcohol is just ethanol with some methanol[typically about 1%] and isopropanol added so you can't drink it). I typically have some waste from my lab (I am a chemist) but so far every chemical I've tried had had no effect on it short of citristip with started to turn it to green goo. I think I am going to have to use a physical method for the majority of it then use a chemical for the residual spots left over or it is going to have to be sanded but I tried a handheld belt sander and the belt quickly became coated and stuck with it.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post
You can buy wide scraper blades that fit into a reciprocating saw; the working edge of the blade is at right angles to where a usual reciprocating saw blade would be. It has a kind of Grade-B horror movie look. Lowes.
Not sure it would have the force necessary. You really have to ram it with the scraper pretty hard to break it lose from the floor. You also have to hold it tight against the floor or it will skip over it. I have a wider scraper I tried and it flexes too much.

Last edited by sschoe2; 08-06-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:40 PM   #14
retired framer

[quote=sschoe2;5600023]Not sure it would have the force necessary.

Have you tried heat.

Last edited by Nealtw; 08-06-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:05 PM   #15

Oh yea some areas I have to use the heat gun. However, you have to put it on maximum and hold it very close with one hand while using a hand held scraper and oven mit on another hand. It has to get very very hot to get pliable so hot that it sets the smoke detector off. It is very slow going and leaves some stuff behind at the bottom.
Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement