Does This Tile Contain Aspestos? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
liscenced electrician

Rewards Points: 540

Does this tile contain aspestos?

Im guessing this room was added on to my house in roughly 1965. Ive just been treating the tile like it contains aspestos (fans for air flow, trying not to create dust when removing them, mopping instead of sweaping), but i got curious if it really does. The tile is very thin and hard. It does not flake apart, it "cracks/shatters." What about the black adhesive that was holding the tiles down? It almost looks like tar
Attached Thumbnails
Does this tile contain aspestos?-aspestos.jpg  
jimmy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 400

The tile most likely contains asbestos. The adhesive had more than the tile. Only way to be 100% sure is to have it tested.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

Those tiles are vinyl asbestos random cork-tone 9x9x1/16". The adhesive might also contain asbestos. But what's the big deal?

Don't grind it and you will be fine. Keep the tile & floor wet when you remove them, (as you've been doing), double bag them and ask where to dispose them.

What will you be installing?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
liscenced electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
The tile most likely contains asbestos. The adhesive had more than the tile. Only way to be 100% sure is to have it tested.

ive been doing a little research and it sounds like mine isn't too much of a health concern. Since the tiles don't flake or create dust, they are pretty self contained. The tar cutback probably does contain asbestos but it is self contained and locked in by the tar. Floor grinding would be a major no no, but other than that, it shouldn't be any major concern removing. I'll try to minimize dust and continue being careful about it.

I have some in another part of the house that DOES seem to be on the flaky side, im a little more nervous about removing that
Old 11-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #5
liscenced electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Those tiles are vinyl asbestos random cork-tone 9x9x1/16". The adhesive might also contain asbestos. But what's the big deal?

Don't grind it and you will be fine. Keep the tile & floor wet when you remove them, (as you've been doing), double bag them and ask where to dispose them.

What will you be installing?

Jaz
its a room behind my garage, that is being turned in to a bedroom/bathroom and part of it will be a walkway to the backyard

it'll probably get carpet in the bedroom, ceramic tile of some sort in the bathroom. Im thinking either tile in the walkway or maybe floating laminate fake hardwood (only because it would cover up the black adhesive nicely with little work)

i read to try boiling water and a scraper for the adhesive and it seems to work pretty darn awesome
Old 11-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 400

No need to remove the tile or adhesive in the areas that will be carpet. Carpet can just go over it.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

I agree with Rusty, you can leave as is for the carpet areas.

Please reconsider using laminate for the walkway, go with ceramic, porcelain for both areas.

The razor wallpaper scraper should cut the cutback adhesive nicely. Remove it until only a film is left, in other words, until you can see concrete. The use the appropriate thin set mortar for the job.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement