Does Sharp Porcelain Tile Require A Different Grout Technique? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By stick\shift
  • 1 Post By MTN REMODEL LLC
  • 1 Post By Gregsoldtruck79

Old 03-12-2018, 09:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 34

Does sharp porcelain tile require a different grout technique?

Hello all!

I have a quick question about grouting my bathroom floor. Yesterday we laid 13 square porcelain tiles on our bathroom floor. The tiles were given to us and unlike most floor tiles Ive seen with rounded edges, these have a very square, sharp edge all around.

I did a 1/8 space between them, but Im still worried people will catch their feet on the edges. With this kind of tile, am I supposed to leave the little dip in the grout (dont know the technical term), or should i smooth the grout so its level with the tiles?

Thank you for any advice you can give!

Audrey
Attached Thumbnails
Does sharp porcelain tile require a different grout technique?-02573ce3-a5d6-44d3-8632-e54b6ccf12ba_1520864126268.jpg   Does sharp porcelain tile require a different grout technique?-4ed54ac6-ca89-4b7b-8794-040880ebdca7_1520864143864.jpg  
Audreygroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,170

Re: Does sharp porcelain tile require a different grout technique?

The grout isn't the issue, it's lippage - this is the difference in height from tile to tile.

Just because I don't like creating crevices to catch dirt and such, I would make the grout lines as horizontal/flat as reasonably possible.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #3
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,220

AS STICK SAYS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I know what you mean.... some tiles have more "eased" edging than others.

If you are worried about tripping, apparently that is a lippage problem, but the tile is allready laid...too late.

A tight (1/8) grout line also accents any lippage, wider grout lines mitigate that... but that also is history.

As long as you are this far along, I would very carefully grout it up and see if that is satisfactory for you.

The dip you refer to is not really by design, it occurs in the cleaning wiping process.

While it is more work, after you have packed your grout and go to the first wipe, do a very light wipe accross grout lines... very light to just smooth level the grout accross tiles, then do your cleanup wipe individually by tile and not accross grout lines... preserving your grout line fill.

Get one of those sponges that has a sharp detail edge.... and cleanup tiles one by one.

That hopefully will keep your grout as smoth as possible accross their fill and mitigate lippage/sharp edges.

Good luck
Gregsoldtruck79 likes this.
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #4

Thank you for the advice! I don’t think there’s a problem with lippage, it’s still drying but we really took a lot of care to make them even. I used a 1/8” because I was told it was better to use a smaller grout line with sharp tile. I’ll follow your suggestions regarding care in cleaning.
With all of the conflicting advice on the Internet, I appreciate the input of someone with experience!
Old 03-12-2018, 11:32 AM   #5
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audreygroff View Post
Thank you for the advice! I dont think theres a problem with lippage, its still drying but we really took a lot of care to make them even. I used a 1/8 because I was told it was better to use a smaller grout line with sharp tile. Ill follow your suggestions regarding care in cleaning.
With all of the conflicting advice on the Internet, I appreciate the input of someone with experience!
I can see the logic, if lippage is not the issue, that a tight grout line can minimize the sharp edge effect...... in effect, NO grout line would minimize the sharp edge.

The natural bevel in a wider grout line, would tend to expose that sharp edge more.

If lippage is at issue, for instance in doing unguaged slate, or guaged slate for that matter, a wider grout line allows in effect a more gradual transition tile to tile.

Good luck
Old 03-12-2018, 12:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,814

I finally pulled the word from my cobwebbed brain. .. Rectified....

People when purchasing tiles need to be sure they are not buying rectified tiles unless they want it... as they have sharp, perfect 90 degree edges. JMO
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:09 PM   #7
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
I finally pulled the word from my cobwebbed brain. .. Rectified....

People when purchasing tiles need to be sure they are not buying rectified tiles unless they want it... as they have sharp, perfect 90 degree edges. JMO

And rectified is many times done with out grout.... but a biotch to lay.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:11 PM   #8

Rectified tile? From your description, that’s what it sounds like. Very square and uniform, really hard material and very thick (a little bigger than 1/4”). It was given to us by someone who had a bunch extra from a job - where is rectified tile normally used?

I haven’t walked on it as it’s still drying, but I’m hoping and praying there is no lippage. I don’t think there is, we were extremely cautious as we were putting them down.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:43 PM   #9
Remodel and New Build GC

I've never laid rectified...... it is done as an aesthetic effect to give a tile surface with none or very small grout rather uniform look verse more traditional tiles.

I imagine there are some special install considerations... like insuring an extreemly flat subsurface.... maybe special tile levelors used.... probably very uniform thinset application.

Does anybody here have experience with it and install considerations.... just curious, I'm too old to F with it.

Best
Old 03-12-2018, 03:52 PM   #10

Ok, I did some looking online - I think that what we have our non-rectified tiles. From what I see, the fancy rectified tiles have beveled edges. These are super-uniform on the edge but flat - look almost like slate but they’re porcelain.

Probably going to grout them this week, and I’ll post an updated picture once it’s done.

Thank you again, everyone, for your advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement