Does Brand Matter??? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lexdiamond20

Old 05-02-2016, 09:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 78

Does brand matter???

Ok, I need approximately 300 sq ft of hardwood for my living room. I note a price different in brands in the local stores. The regular stuff like Bruce runs about $4 per, the cheaper no name stuff about $2.50 and then they have more expensive stuff that can get in the range of $8. At the end of the day, does it matter which brand I go with. Heart is set on Bruce based on name recognition. Just curious about my other options.
lexdiamond20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2016, 10:12 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Re: Does brand matter???

I don't know how important brand is, but hardwood varies in price based on the species, quality of the wood (number of knots, voids, defects), the length of the boards (longer boards, higher price) and the width of the boards (wider boards, higher price). You may want to consider going to a local lumber mill that produces hardwood flooring, I have one near me that produces high quality hardwood flooring at a competitive price, and you can get whatever you want in terms of length, width, and grade.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2016, 12:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,014

Read the reviews on the different brands to find out more. Lowe's and HD surprisingly will leave up negative reviews, so that's actually a good source.
spaceman spif is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2016, 02:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 368

Yes brand/manufacturer does matter. Like anything else you truly do get what you pay for. Some good manufacturers include; WD Flooring, Shamrock, Mirage, Carlyle wide plank. Bruce is not very good stuff. I'd consider it poorer quality stuff.
Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:04 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 750

I agree with wood guy, Bruce is not what I'd consider good quality wood. It's fair at best.

Also look at Somerset. I guess once you see the cheap stuff and think wood should cost $4, you'll have a hard time going $6. Talk over your priorities. Please avoid 2.25" strip if possible.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:15 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 116

Ultimately and obviously, considering this is your money regardless of what anyone on this forum or otherwise writes/states, you have the final decision. There are some members here that work in the flooring trade, so perhaps that might provide some insight.

However, objectively speaking what factors are most important to you with hardwood flooring? To potentially help you, I once had a opportunity to speak to a person that worked in floor trade and this contractor listed factors his customers found most important. Granted this is one person's perspective but this might be useful to you.

Pricing, warranty, maintenance, quality/features and origin of manufacture were all the factors that were mentioned and personally speaking, sound reasonable. If you are in the process of selling or in the near future about to sell your house, there is some advisement I'd like to provide.

Due to the nature of the flooring, most if not all hardwood flooring eventually needs to be resealed and in some cases resurfaced. Especially if you have pets and this area is under constant traffic. Or worse, moisture exposure as that could easily force you to either replace or resurface the floor.

In terms of longevity, I'd recommend Columbia Flooring, Mullican and Mannington as in the long run their products will outlast whatever is sold at big box stores.

Last edited by Stapler; 05-11-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:45 PM   #7
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 1,974

I did two entire houses with lumber liquidator hardwood maple. Pre finished. In the end the houses were fine. The milling on the pieces was pretty bad. I cut a lot of tongues off and what not to get things right. Their was still pretty good gaps between the pieces.
The other thing that surprised me was I got a little water on the floor for less than a minute and the edges curled up, noticeably. Now I buy some chinese stuff out of the back of a box truck in the rough part of town. It is not even in boxes and it is better than lumber liquidators stuff .
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:48 PM   #8

Ended up going with Mohawk. Not sure if it's good enough for some of the people on this forum but the price ($4.99 sq ft) fit my budget and I was helped along by the guy in the mom and pop flooring shop. To the other poster opinioning against 2.25 width, sorry to burst your bubble. The current flooring I was matching for the 2 bedrooms and dining room are this width and ripping it all out just to go with a more popular size was not an option at all.

Thank you for your assistance
Old 05-11-2016, 03:53 PM   #9

Also note, I can now see why mom and pops still stay in business. The amount of customer service was impeccable. From allowing me to bring samples home, to calling me back at my office after i left a message to coordinating the delivery terms, I was glad to pay their slightly higher prices vs the big boxes. Multiple trips to both Lowe's and HD and not one person inquired if I needed assistance.
spaceman spif likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to lexdiamond20 For This Useful Post:
JazMan (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #10
Lord of Slums

Amen to that one. Thanks for supporting the mom and pop
Old 05-11-2016, 05:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj12 View Post
Amen to that one. Thanks for supporting the mom and pop
Now if only the mom and pops would stop catering to contractors only. Being a 9 to 5'er, it makes it pretty hard for me to make it to most of the mom and pops with their limited hours. Lol local lumber places around me, as well Sherwin, Benjamin and even the place i got the hardwood from close by 6 or 7 and don't open on Sunday. The big boxes open till 10pm daily. Huge downside unfortunately
Old 05-11-2016, 07:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamond20 View Post
Now if only the mom and pops would stop catering to contractors only. Being a 9 to 5'er, it makes it pretty hard for me to make it to most of the mom and pops with their limited hours. Lol local lumber places around me, as well Sherwin, Benjamin and even the place i got the hardwood from close by 6 or 7 and don't open on Sunday. The big boxes open till 10pm daily. Huge downside unfortunately
Personally, I just wish I had any family owned and run businesses in my area. There is a Ace in my area and to be bluntly honest at from what I've seen neither kids nor man/woman children work there. Then again, I don't go to stores looking for friendships, but at least do your job at the bare minimum.

To be fair, I don't blame most independently owned businesses for not being open later at night. Some might disagree, but I've worked enough "late" shifts to proclaim working night shifts are terrible. If I were them, I wouldn't want to work late either naturally.

However, while this probably obvious to most people, not everyone at these big box stores are without any merit. Remember, most of these workers are paid minimum wage or not that much above that and some customers have unrealistic and unhealthy expectations.

My chief complaint with these big box stores is that some "claim" to be "proud American companies" but don't really do a great job supporting domestic manufacturing. Granted, some people for various reasons may not care about that, but if you are going to take a stand, own up to that to best of your ability.

Then again, giant corporations and for profit businesses main objective to produce revenue, which is understandable. However, this can lead to unethical and illegal decisions to be sometimes.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:47 PM   #13
Lord of Slums

In Detroit there are tons of mom and pop everything stores. For me the ghetto is where the world's best food is. I especially love the mom and pop hardware stores. They have stuff brand new in the box from 1930.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:16 PM   #14

Harry J Epstein is the only family owned and run since 1930 that I've know of, have physically visited and bought products online. They are located in Kansas City Missouri and while some people work their that aren't family related, the founders son, brother and son physically run the store predominately. Jori Sackin (Steve Sackin's son), revolutionized Harry J Epstein with selling products online and best of all, their main focus is to support and create modern American manufacturing jobs.

Some might think the following statement might be "controversial" but I mean no disrespect and would hope most see this as a civilized opinion.

While being that they are independent hardware store and have older items, personally I appreciate their commitment to modern American jobs as outsourcing has had a major impact on the US economy. Not bringing up politics, as this isn't the section nor relevant to the post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement