DIY Or Find Pros? Replacing Damaged Hard Wood Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

DIY or find Pros? Replacing damaged hard wood floor

I need to repair a patch of hardwood flooring in the house and I'm trying to decide whether to do it myself or hire professionals.

The problem area is about 6'x6', there are some gaps developed between boards and some boards are cupping upwards, all around fridge area - I'm guessing the previous owner's fridge defrosted or had a water pipe burst (see picture, it goes around the left side wall into the kitchen where the fridge stands).

I have the make/model of the boards, so I could probably order the same floor from original vendor. The flooring was prefinished hardwood nailed down to the subfloor. The flooring guys estimated about $200-$300 for the job, which lead me to believe it's a rather small job, hence might be DIY'able. I have some basic tools and like to do simple carpentry myself (built couple of beds, shelves, etc.). I have ever done flooring before. I figure w/ the $200-$300 I saved, I could get the Skilsaw flooring saw that I always wanted.

So there you have it, is this a job for an average DIY'er or I'd be better off leaving it to professionals?

Best
J.
Attached Images

Last edited by raptor22; 11-07-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: spelling
raptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,374

#1 Wood flooring in a kitchen is a bad idea.
#2 No clue what a Skilsaw flooring saw even is. It's done with a ciruler saw and an Osculating saw.
That picture does not show any of the area that's damaged in a position we can see it so not sure how anyone's going to be able to advise how to fix it.
rusty baker (11-07-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,236

It can be done DIY but to be honest for $200 or $300 I would hire the pro. I would hire them for that cost just to get out of the aggravation of matching colors. Also don't know what a Skilsaw flooring saw is. But if it's just for flooring seems like pretty much a dust collector for a DIY'ER.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
joecaption (11-07-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 850

http://www.skiltools.com/Tools/Pages...spx?model=3600
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 18,374

Spend your money on a 12" compound miter saw instead.
It will do far more jobs then that toy.
rusty baker (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

That's a neat little saw. I wouldn't buy it to repair a 6x6 area. But if you have bigger flooring dreams that's another thing all together. I laid a floor this weekend and I wouldn't have been as sore if I had that little thing with me. Lol
big juicy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Never seen that saw before. Use a table saw for the rip cuts and if you don't have a crosscut sled you you easily use a miter saw. The table saw and miter saw will have far more capabilities than that would have. Now that I think of it, you're trying to repair a section in the middle of the floor so you shouldn't need to rip any of the boards. That means you only need a miter saw like someone else has already said. But for the cost of a good miter saw you're better off hiring the pro to tackle this for you. That's not to say you can't do it with a different saw, it could be completed with a circular saw and a framing square, or even a handheld miter saw and miter box.
USNrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,042

Pretty sure that Skilsaw your talking about is primarily used for laminate and engineered flooring,although you may be able to use it for 3/4" in a pinch if you go slow,and you can pick up a refurb for $120.00 at CPO.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement