DIY Baseboard Installation - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2014, 09:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

DIY Baseboard Installation

Newbie here. I am planning to install baseboard (never done that before - first time). Spent countless hours on youtube, bought Ryobi Miter saw and ordered Pine baseboard (5180). I don't have a nail gun and my budget is around $50. Is it worth to buy from harbor freight? Also, what nail gun i should buy.

Brand gun or nail gun?
16 guange or 18 gauge
1 1/2" or 2 " nails

Baseboard is 5 1/4" height 9/16" thickness - pine primed

Also, do i need to apply kilz. What kind of paint i need to use (it is white primed)
spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 01:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,376

There is no need to prime.
Look it over close, often times there idea of priming is to do it in a dust saw dust filled room.
It may need a light sanding to remove the flaws.
I set mine up of saw horse and prepaint it before installing.
Any quality latex paint will work, the more sheen the easier it will be to clean.
I often use a 6" foam roller for faster painting and a no brush mark finish.
2-1/2" nails 15 or 16 gauge will work.
Brads are to small and have no heads, you need a finish nailer.
Use painters putty to fill the nail holes and latex caulking for gaps and along the top edge.
Find the lay out of the studs before installing, if there 16" on center just lay a tape measure out in the locked position on the floor. There should be red marks right on the tape showing where 16" spacing is. No need to mark anything.
spower (04-30-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 07:19 AM   #3

thanks. Found another thread as well in flooring froum where they suggest to use 2" nails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #4

Lot of little tricks when install trim.
#1, Rare to find a true 90 deg. inside or outside corner.
#2, Learn what coping is and how to do it so your inside corners will not end up with gaps.
There's some videos on You Tube.
I use a simple tool made by Starrett called a 505-7 to find out the angle to cut the moulding.
http://www.starrett.com/metrology/pr...etail?k=505p-7
It will give you the exact angle to set the saw for a single a double cut at a glance.
Try to use the longest pieces possible, just hate it when I see a seam every 8', I know a DIY did it because that's all there could carry in there car or truck.
Never just butt two pieces together when making a longer run. Make a 45 or a 22-1/2 deg. angle so they over lap.
There's also going to be a tiny gap someplace along the top of the base due to walls are never 100% flat. A tiny bit of caulking and wiping with your finger then a damp sponge will make it disappear.
There is 0 need for there to be any caulking left on the moulding or the wall, it only needs to be filling the gap.
Floors are never totally flat, older homes are going to be really bad most of the time. Just use 1/4 round or shoe moulding to cover the gap.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by spower View Post
I don't have a nail gun and my budget is around $50. Is it worth to buy from harbor freight? Also, what nail gun i should buy.
For this simple job a finish nailer from Harbor Freight is fine. If you are getting an air nailer, however, be aware that you will need an air compressor and a hose. Even at HF prices I don't think you can get all of these for $50. You also need nails for whatever nailer you get. Spend the money, though; while it's in theory possible to hand nail trim like this, the nail gun lets you hold the piece with one hand and shoot the nail with the other, meaning things actually go where you want them to go. You will be much happier with the outcome of your project this way.

Nailers can also be 18V battery powered. I recommend investing in the compressor and a finish air nailer. That way you have the compressor and another nailer for a different project is a simple addition.

Quote:
What kind of paint i need to use (it is white primed)
You can use whatever kind of interior paint you want. House trim is usually painted with a semi-gloss or gloss sheen, because it is prone to getting dirty, and these sheens are easy to clean without damaging. All of my house trim is painted in a semi-gloss Benjamin Moore color called Super White, which is a pure white paint.
JKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JKeefe For This Useful Post:
spower (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 10:56 PM   #6

Thanks for all the tip. The baseboard arrived today. I have 10" blade miter (ryobi) and the delivery guy mentioned i need sliding miter (ryobi miter). Do I need sliding miter or can I place the baseboard horizontal and angle the blade 45 left to get the same cut?

Also, do i need to do oil paint or latex is fine? I ordered the $50 combo kit from kmart
Old 05-01-2014, 11:23 AM   #7

Latex paint is fine.
We have no idea how tall your base is you bought.
Going to be a royal pain to have to keep having to swinging the whole head back and forth instead of just changing the angle from the front of the saw.
I just showed a customer how to cope some base on there little B&D 10" saw with it standing up and had no trouble doing it.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 342

Joe, Google 5180 pine baseboard. Looks like a standard trim pattern that is 5.25" tall.
JKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
baseboard , flooring , nail