Difference Between Advantech 'flooring' And 'sheathing'? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #1
Thumb smasher

Rewards Points: 32

Difference between Advantech 'flooring' and 'sheathing'?

I ordered 5/8" T&G Advantech panels for my subfloor (to go on top of the 1/2" ply that's already there) from the local lumber yard, they delivered them just now, I checked quick to make sure it was T&G and the right size, etc., and they left.

It wasn't until after that I just picked up a panel to look closer, and I noticed it says "sheathing" on it. When I hit the Huber web site, they have separate pages for for flooring and sheathing.

Can I use this for my subfloor?

I keep reading that you don't use sheathing ply, but I wasn't sure when it came to advantech; and so many sites/comment boards/blogs talk about using Advantech sheathing for their subfloors - but I dunno if that's actually what they are using or if they are just being sloppy with their terminology, or if maybe everything is just marked 'sheathing' and there's some other marking on there that's supposed to indicate it's ok for subfloor/underlayment.

Thanks!
NatRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2018, 01:15 PM   #2
Thumb smasher

Re: Difference between Advantech 'flooring' and 'sheathing'?

Follow up (is there a way to edit a post?):

* The sheathing is marked 40/20, and the data sheet on the flooring says PS2 span rating is 20" oc - so I don't see any differences there.

* Sheathing is a pound heavier on the data sheets, so density should be pretty even - I mean, this is only 1/32" thicker

Is it possible the difference is mainly dimensional because sheathing/flooring has different applications? This is only 47.5" wide, plus 1/8" with the tongue - but I've seem some people talk about getting full 48" materials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2018, 01:21 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 5,866

I have never seen the stuff you have but the regular stuff when put together never closes up tight and going over a another floor it may be a plus.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2018, 05:41 PM   #4
Thumb smasher

I ended up calling Huberwood - whoever would have though you could just ask the people who make it!

The rep said there is no difference between the two from a performance standpoint. The only difference is that flooring is sanded smoother on one face, which is why (I presume) it comes as 19/32 instead of the full 5/8.

I was planning on covering with tar paper anyway under the hardwood, so I doubt the smoothness will matter much.. seems pretty smooth enough to me already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
advantech , subfloor