Cursed, Accursed Laminate Floating Flooring.... - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By ront02769
  • 1 Post By MTN REMODEL LLC

Old 01-17-2017, 09:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 96

Cursed, accursed laminate floating flooring....

Like a fool, I put laminate 'floating floors' all over the place in both levels of my home, and have been paying the price eternally ever since.
Oh they look nice, but eventually... inevitably, and always, you end up with "puckers".

This is because the designers of traditional laminate flooring made it so that when common spills are left on- say, the house dog having an accident when you aren't home, a leaky roof, a backed up sink, whatever- the liquid is absorbed into the seams, causing them to expand. They do NOT go back down. Leaving a permanent unsightly buckle here, there, and everywhere.

What is more, as laminate is tongue-in-groove, many times you have no option to replace buckled sections without ripping out huge areas, working to the end. That is, assuming they still sell your matching brand and flavor of laminate. Many times, they do not.
So you basically spend your days watching the floor you spent all that time and work on deteriorate worse and worse, while your eye twitches with a nervous tick and looks at the ceiling lol.

So my question is: has any manufacturer had the brilliant idea and let's face it mercy to come up with an affordable *waterproof* laminate flooring, that works?
If so, can you recommend a brand?
I'm willing to rip out and put in a new floor for the third time, but frankly I'd like to be just a little smarter this time.

Last edited by jeffpas; 01-17-2017 at 09:30 PM.
jeffpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Re: Cursed, accursed laminate floating flooring....

NuCore is a product I just discovered today - it's exclusive to Floor and Decor. Home Depot has a similar product called Resilent Interlocking Planks by Traffic Master. Both claim to be 100% waterproof. They are both between 2.50 and 3.00 a sq. ft.
drewjt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2017, 08:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,368

Not dealing with the waterproof product.....but it is a not necessary to remove entire sections to get to the end. Cut the bad board down the middle, drill holes in the corners, then cut it into triangles and pull it out. You then just cut off the bottom of the groove side of the new board, pop it into place, and glue that side down. As to finding the replacement board, grab it out of the stack of boards that you set aside when you installed it.
MTN REMODEL LLC and jaysurfs like this.
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ront02769 For This Useful Post:
jaysurfs (03-28-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2017, 10:23 PM   #4
RRH

Rewards Points: 1,336

coretec floors
RRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:01 AM   #5
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,342

If you want waterproof, porcelain wood grain tiles.
I have some in my kitchen and everyone who sees them believes they are real wood at first.

If you want wood, start saving for real hardwood flooring. Laminate flooring should be illegal. How someone can sell that stuff and still sleep at night, I have no idea. Pure junk.

Vinyl tiles are junk as well. They'll get scratched and dinged. I had a brand that the micro coating came up and the core of the tile was white, not brown and you could see every blemish sticking out like a sore thumb.

I'm curious if anyone recommending vinyl actually tiles has had them installed for more than a few years?

Can anyone tell I'm bitter over all the crap that's for sale ion the market today?
People walk into a store and see a nice price for what appears to be a nice looking product only to fall victim to the shysters selling it? After all the hard work and these problems pop up.

OK.....slow down pugsy...rant coming to an end....over.......sorry all.....it just drives me crazy......
rusty baker (03-18-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 08:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,760

'Accursed' should be the brand name.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:43 AM   #7
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,566

Glue your seams 100%. It will prevent spills from penetrating the seams. Also prevents seam separation on large areas.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:39 AM   #8
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Glue your seams 100%. It will prevent spills from penetrating the seams. Also prevents seam separation on large areas.

YODA ^^^^^^^^^^^^^100%^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Assuming you want a laminate, a product with glued TnG performs much better in the long run verse a quick lock product.

I had a 1995 Pergo TnG floating glue up (glued TnG... not glue down) that saw 2 dogs/ 2 active kids/ many kegs of beer/ and tracked in snow for 20 years that looked virtually brand new after twenty years of punishment.

Yes, laminate does not have the feel or depth of look that a nice hardwood or engineered wood has, but it does have super low (none) maintenance and durability.
Yodaman likes this.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:43 PM   #9
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,566

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
YODA ^^^^^^^^^^^^^100%^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Assuming you want a laminate, a product with glued TnG performs much better in the long run verse a quick lock product.

I had a 1995 Pergo TnG floating glue up (glued TnG... not glue down) that saw 2 dogs/ 2 active kids/ many kegs of beer/ and tracked in snow for 20 years that looked virtually brand new after twenty years of punishment.

Yes, laminate does not have the feel or depth of look that a nice hardwood or engineered wood has, but it does have super low (none) maintenance and durability.

I had similar results with a click-lock product that I put down in the mid 90's. It was a kitchen/dinning room with all seems glued up, not down, it was still a floating floor. I sold the house a year ago and the floors still looked good. It had a couple dings from sharp objects falling, but no swelled "puckers".
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:17 AM   #10
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 1,668

I won't install laminate. Too many problems. It is a disposable, temporary, floor covering.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-18-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement