Cork Tiles Over Existing(absbestos) Floor? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cork Tiles over existing(absbestos) floor?

I purchased some 2' x 1' cork tiles to put in my basement. There is currently some cheap vinyl tile in there, and I was told that it likely has asbestos(pic attached). What is the ideal process for installing the cork tiles? I've heard everything from having to tear out the existing floor to simply lay the cork on top of the existing floor. What worries me about simply laying it over the existing floor is that some of the tiles have already popped up. While they're 6 inch squares and much smaller than the cork tiles that I'm using, I worry that it could cause issues down the road.

Also, will I need to use any sort of underlayment and/or special adhesive?

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Cork Tiles over existing(absbestos) floor?-img_20141110_080109_872.jpg  
bps23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2014, 08:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,384

If those tiles do not have asbestos the old cut back will, How to install the new tiles is how the manufacture suggest. If the directions are not on the box check out there web site or even call them.
I'd do whatever possible to avoid having to remove all but the loose old tiles.
The missing ones can be filled in with nongypsom floor leveler.
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2014, 09:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If those tiles do not have asbestos the old cut back will, How to install the new tiles is how the manufacture suggest. If the directions are not on the box check out there web site or even call them.
I'd do whatever possible to avoid having to remove all but the loose old tiles.
The missing ones can be filled in with nongypsom floor leveler.
That's what I was thinking on the existing floor. I'd rather not even take the chance of stirring up something bad, but if it needs to go, it needs to go. I was hoping the larger cork tiles(4x the size of existing) would help with any potential shifting in the subfloor.

The manufacturer suggest not installing these in below grade areas, but I assume that's to cover their butts. I've spoken with multiple "experts" that said cork in a basement would be fine. Here's the product that I purchased...

http://www.builddirect.com/cork-floo..._10084479.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,384

There covering there butt because they know it's not going to work.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
There covering there butt because they know it's not going to work.
Any particular reason why? There's zero moisture.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by bps23
Any particular reason why? There's zero moisture.
By what moisture testing method..........the I took a look at it and didn't see any?

Obviously it's impossible that there's no moisture being emitted by the below grade slab. There's moisture, I guarantee it.

That product is not suitable for below grade, it's not even suitable for some on grade slabs, as they mention you have to do a moisture test before continuing.

You got the wrong product for the job, but continue if you wanna. Don't ask us for our blessings though.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
By what moisture testing method..........the I took a look at it and didn't see any?

Obviously it's impossible that there's no moisture being emitted by the below grade slab. There's moisture, I guarantee it.

That product is not suitable for below grade, it's not even suitable for some on grade slabs, as they mention you have to do a moisture test before continuing.

You got the wrong product for the job, but continue if you wanna. Don't ask us for our blessings though.

Jaz
I love the condescension. It's really helpful.

I've asked multiple contractors and they all said cork is fine, but disagreed on the installation method. That was my reason for coming here, but I guess that was just a waste of time.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:58 PM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

OK, sorry that it came off that way. But......when you say "zero moisture". That's impossible.

You can NOT see moisture. If you see it, it's water. A slab with high moisture will look dry cuz the moisture is evaporating into the air. You gotta do the tests to find out how much moisture is emitted. But, the manufacturer says do not install below grade, end of story.

You can keep "shopping around" for the answer you like. So, it's up to you.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement