Continuing Old Hardwood Into A New Room - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2014, 03:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 180

Continuing old hardwood into a new room

My house was built in the late 1960s with pretty standard 3/4" x 1.5" oak flooring. We had it refinished when we moved in six years ago and it came out looking brand new. Within the next year we'll be taking down the wall to the garage and making it a family room/dining room and would like to continue the hardwood flooring throughout, but I'm worried about matching it.

First, how difficult is it for an installer (I'll not be doing this myself) to "weave" a new floor into an old one? The direction of the flooring is running perpendicular to the long (24') side of the room. Second, how about color matching? If we can match the species of oak and use the same stain that was used in the refinishing can we expect to get close? If not, I'd take suggestions on how else to create a transition to some other type of flooring that would look good. I'd be open to carpeting the living room side (about half the space), but not the dining room side for obvious reasons.

Finally, the garage was built as an original part of the house, so the ceiling height is contiguous with the house and the slab is below the main floor level. Since that's the case, I'll be framing a floor inside the garage to match the height of the main floor exactly, and the hardwood will be installed over 3/4" plywood subflooring, not directly on the concrete or a Dri-core subfloor, etc...
Badfish740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 144

I know this is a DIY forum but you have already stated that you will be hiring a flooring contractor to do the flooring.
A reputable contractor will give you much better advice after looking at your floors than you will get on an internet forum without even a picture.
Weaving the old floors into the new is something they do daily and should not be a problem.Color matching takes some time but should not be difficult for a flooring guy.There are several tricks of the trade to get new to match old.I have used many myself.
Best thing you can do is find a reputable flooring contractor in your area to look over the job and have him make you a couple of finished samples of what your new floor will look like compared to the old.There may be a charge for this but it's piece of mind and a sample of the finished product in case your not happy with it in the end.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2014, 04:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
I know this is a DIY forum but you have already stated that you will be hiring a flooring contractor to do the flooring.
I'll be doing the rest. I am good at making ugly, functional, strong things (framing, etc...) but not good at making things "look good."
Badfish740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement