Continuing Hardwood Floor Into New Closet - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 33

Continuing hardwood floor into new closet

Hello,

I was looking for some guidance on finishing the floor in a small hall closet which resulted from a master bathroom build. I have included a picture. I do not want to refinish my current floor and I though interdigitating the floor would be difficult. I was thinking of making a straight cut perpendicular to the edge and place the new floor perpendicular to the existing as the closet will cover most of it. Or just placing one perpendicular and the rest parallel making a transition. I was also thinking of laying all the pieces out them prefinishing them before installing them. I have a 10 month old son and I am trying to avoid fumes. I have a bunch of the same hardwood saved from ripping out he floor for the master bath.

I am hoping the experienced folks could help me out. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Continuing hardwood floor into new closet-image.jpg  
Leonidsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,376

Far easier to just add a wooden threshold and add the flooring in the other direction inside the closet.
oh'mike (09-10-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #3

Can you elaborate on the threshold idea. I feel like putting a threshold on the end there will be too far out into the hallway and not located under the actual door.

Thank you
Lenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,042

Putting a threshold out that far won't look right, and putting in a piece parallel will look odd also, best to just continue the run.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 101

I disagree, I do not think a threshold wood look weird there...The wood going the other direction will be in a closet, so I would not be super concerned with the final "looks" of the closet floor as long as it is easy to clean/sweep. With a door in there it looks like you would only see a little bit of the threshold, which is perfectly normal. This is how I have it in my house where my tile bathroom meets the hardwood floor. The threshold is not "hidden" by the door 100%.

Agree with Joe, make it easier on yourself and put a threshold in and then some type of flooring and call it a day.

If you are not good with flooring it may be difficult for you to properly link the original and "closet" wood and you may end up doing more damage than good to those existing floors.

South Jersey - Camden County
tjbingha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tjbingha For This Useful Post:
mnp13 (09-17-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #6

This is how I have it in my house where my tile bathroom meets the hardwood floor . The threshold is not "hidden" by the door 100%."

You probably have a transition strip not a threshold, and he's not concerned about the closet side, it's the existing floor he's talking about, looks to be about 2 inches from the door from the pic, but could be less hard to tell from photo.

Last edited by Canarywood1; 09-12-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
This is how I have it in my house where my tile bathroom meets the hardwood floor . The threshold is not "hidden" by the door 100%."

You probably have a transition strip not a threshold, and he's not concerned about the closet side, it's the existing floor he's talking about, looks to be about 2 inches from the door from the pic, but could be less hard to tell from photo.

That is correct I think there would be 2 or so inches to the actual door. I did also mean to say transition strip perpendicular to the current floor but you would then see that strip as well as the continuation of the floor into the closet. I can attempt weaving into the existing floor if you all have some guidance. One big issue I am trying to avoid is refinishing all of the floor because the weaved portion wont match. I dont have time to refinish the second floor. I was hoping on being able to temporarly blend it in, I don't know what the best way would be for that. I have a 10 month old so I am also trying to cut down on VOC, and other health related fumes.

Thank you for everyones input.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidsg View Post
That is correct I think there would be 2 or so inches to the actual door. I did also mean to say transition strip perpendicular to the current floor but you would then see that strip as well as the continuation of the floor into the closet. I can attempt weaving into the existing floor if you all have some guidance. One big issue I am trying to avoid is refinishing all of the floor because the weaved portion wont match. I dont have time to refinish the second floor. I was hoping on being able to temporarly blend it in, I don't know what the best way would be for that. I have a 10 month old so I am also trying to cut down on VOC, and other health related fumes.

Thank you for everyones input.

Just continue the run to the closet side of the door casing, and your good to go.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
Don't WANNA do it myself

Rewards Points: 512

I agree, put a threshold perpendicular to the floor boards and then put in the closet door. Every room in my house that has a threshold has one that is the same depth as the door frame. It's not abnormal. If you don't feather in the boards (time consuming, not easy and will require very careful refinishing of that entire section of floor if you don't want to redo the whole room) it will look far more odd than having a door-frame-width threshold.

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #10

Do you mind ellaborating just a bit more

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnp13 View Post
I agree, put a threshold perpendicular to the floor boards and then put in the closet door. Every room in my house that has a threshold has one that is the same depth as the door frame. It's not abnormal. If you don't feather in the boards (time consuming, not easy and will require very careful refinishing of that entire section of floor if you don't want to redo the whole room) it will look far more odd than having a door-frame-width threshold.

When you say threshold do mean one that actually sits on top of the floor or do you mean placing the same hardwood perpendicular. Sorry if thats a dumb question

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement