Concrete Floor - 1/2" Backer Board - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 248

Concrete floor - 1/2" backer board

New construction. Concrete slab floor. Someone is trying to convince me to put tile and floor panels directly on the floor with mortar and glue. I do not want to do that because once the tiles and floor panels are on they cannot be removed easily. Next time I want to change the tiles I will have a nasty cleanup job. I want to put 1/2" backer board on the ground. Loose. No concrete screws to hold it down. Install the tiles and floor panels on the backer board.

Is this a good idea or not?
jackwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 750

Of course you are kidding right, on both counts?

What are floor panels? Do you mean something like Dricore"

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2015, 02:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,914

Not one of those ideas is a good one.
Tile would be sitting on the slab attached with thin set not glue.
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 1,668

Maybe that idea came from a Youtube video.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:51 PM   #5
Tileguy

Could very well be from You Tube, we've seen some doosy's. But, I'm betting on his barber. Jack, please tell us more we're just having fun and promise to help you.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
Old 04-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Not one of those ideas is a good one.
Tile would be sitting on the slab attached with thin set not glue.
Maybe I'm not getting something. How difficult is it to remove thinset at some time in the future if I want to change or redo my tiles?

Thinset is an excellent idea for the first guy to come along and tile. I am concerned for the future maintenance and changes.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:25 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 144

You are forgetting something.Your forgetting what kind of ch++ your idea will become in a couple days.Listen to the pros.These guys know aht they are talking about.
First off :How would you expect any grout to stay intact with everything under it moving.
How would you expect the tiles to act floating?
Your underlayment is also floating.Hows this going to work.
I don't know your age but I am curious to know how many times you plan on changing this tile in your lifetime and why are you trying to reinvent the wheel.
It is what it is and tile and the underlayment for it has come along way in the last several years.It's intension is to stay down and not crack.Not to be pulled up in 25 years easily.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
joecaption (04-27-2015), rusty baker (04-27-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #8

I don't know what you're talking about. That soft 1/2" backerboard doesn't float around. I lay it down on the ground and it does not move. To slide it would take some effort. Besides, you did not address my question. How much trouble will it be later to redo the tiles? To clean the old thinset off of the slab?
Old 04-28-2015, 06:58 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 17,914

Cement backer board is never laid over a slab!!
Sure way to have mold under it.
Why would you be conserned with how hard it would be remove tile in the future?
It's no harder then removing it on tile board and you would not have to deal with having to deal all the damage to the tile board.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:05 PM   #10
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack washere
Besides, you did not address my question. How much trouble will it be later to redo the tiles? To clean the old thinset off of the slab?
Removing thinset from a concrete floor is not a fun job. I used to tell people after I installed their floor; If you ever want to remove it, please don't call me.

Ceramic is considered a lifetime installation. If you stay in the same house you should expect to live with it for a long time, maybe 40 years or longer. So, don't select a gaudy color that you'll be tired of in ten.

But, do it your way and you'll be removing it sooner than even you want.

Where do people get these .................? ......as he leaves mumbling to himself...

Jaz

Last edited by JazMan; 04-28-2015 at 07:08 PM. Reason: corrected punctuation, so ppl would think I was smart.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
Colbyt (04-29-2015), joecaption (04-28-2015), rusty baker (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 08:14 PM   #11
Pro Flooring Installer

Jaz, I think you are wasteing your time.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:14 PM   #12
Tileguy

Yes I am Rusty, but others are learning and being entertained.

If he thinks he knows how to do the job, he should proclaim himself an expert and get a job at one of the big box stores. Fit right in.

We're still willing to help Jack.

Jaz

Old 04-29-2015, 02:16 PM   #13

Thanx Jaz. You confirmed my suspicion. It's a no-win situation.

If you are shoddy quality meister like joecaption and rusty and don't give a rat's behind about the guy who has to toil and trouble with your mess a few years down the line the old fashioned tried and tested way of thinset on concrete is the way to go.

If you drop some backerboard on the floor there is a chance that mold will occur.

If that's the worst that can happen then I'll take my chances. I'm in the high desert. Open the window for 30 minutes and any mold and mildew will get sucked right out and about.

Besides, backerboard 4x8 = $22. Cheap floor tiles at Lowe's on clearance $0.10/tile. Thinset at Lowe's on clearance $4/bag. We're talking $50 maybe $100 of material. Worse comes to worse I lost $100 and do it over some weekend. Once I mess up my concrete floor with thinset and tiles directly attached there is no going back.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:16 PM   #14
Pro Flooring Installer

Just one question. If you had no intention of doing it right, why waste everyone's time asking questions? It won't last 6 months the way you are doing it. But, even though you insulted me, I still wish you luck.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:30 PM   #15
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwashere
If you are shoddy quality meister like joecaption and rusty and don't give a rat's behind about the guy who has to toil and trouble with your mess a few years down the line the old fashioned tried and tested way of thinset on concrete is the way to go.
I don't get what the heck you're trying to say. But then how could I since you don't know either.

I think it's safe to say that Jack if upset and so;

JACK is OFF!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement