Concrete Dust In Luxury Rug - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2016, 11:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Concrete Dust in Luxury Rug

This is my first post to these forums so hopefully I'm posting in the right category - if not, please feel free to redirect me to a more appropriate section of these forums! My husband recently had to do some work on the plumbing in our kitchen and this required him to cut into our living room wall to get at the pipes. He's a genius at home improvement but not so much on keeping the place clean. He neglected to lay enough tarp on the ground and ended up getting plaster dust all over a part of our oriental rug. It's a valuable heirloom so I don't want to just go crazy on cleaning it without getting some advice first. Can anyone tell me if there's a good method for getting plaster or concrete dust out of an antique rug? Thanks!
CharonThePunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2016, 12:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 342

Re: Concrete Dust in Luxury Rug

May sound over simplified but a vacuum cleaner should do the trick, and, if needed, a stiff brush to lightly go over the rug to brush out any deep residue.
I know this works because I watch my wife do it to our oriental rugs after I do what your husband did.
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZTMAN For This Useful Post:
CharonThePunk (04-22-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #3

Thank you for the prompt reply, ZTMAN! Do you know whether your wife uses a specific type of vacuum cleaner or attachment when cleaning your rugs? Sorry if I seem paranoid; we really love this rug and are really afraid of damaging it permanently!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2016, 02:17 PM   #4

She has an Orek, I use a shop vac. Key is get the debris and out, and if there is a little powder left behind , lightly brush the rug with the stiff brush. We have three oriental rugs over 25 years old and they look as good as the day we bought them. That's with kids, dogs and me running all over them. If you are worried about damage, I guess you could have them professionally cleaned , but those rugs are built to last
The Following User Says Thank You to ZTMAN For This Useful Post:
CharonThePunk (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 03:21 PM   #5

Ok, I think I can manage that! I wish I could afford professional cleaning but I'm on a bit of a budget so it seems like this is my best option. I sincerely appreciate your help!
Old 04-25-2016, 12:46 PM   #6

Just wanted to thank you again, ZTMan! I vacuumed my rug Friday night and it's back to its pristine self. I found an article confirming it's okay to vacuum Persian rugs as well as Oriental rugs. Here's the excerpt:

"One of wool’s most convenient qualities is the ease in which it is cleaned. You may be hesitant to vacuum your precious rug purchase but even the most extravagant rugs benefit from regular vacuuming. If you’ve purchased a wool rug, vacuuming is made even easier by the tendency for dirt to actually rest on the rug’s surface as opposed to finding its way deep within the fibers. Though wool may be a durable material, you’ll still want to refrain from subjecting any high end luxury rugs to high powered vacuum cleaners or extensions that could pull at the woven knots."

Thanks for steering me in the right direction! The headache is over! LOL
Old 04-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #7

Glad you got is squared away. Help hubby spread the drop cloth next time.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:20 AM   #8

LOL I guess I'll have to!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement