Colour Changing Tiles :( - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 8
Red face

Colour changing tiles :(

I am a co-owner of a cleaning company. One of our clients sent us pictures saying our product (environmentally friendly) damaged her tiles. Our ladies said as soon as water hit the tiles they started to changes colours before any cleaning product was used. Can someone please help me explain the pictures? Could it be water damage? The client says it has never happened to her...
Attached Thumbnails
Colour changing tiles :(-tile-1.jpg   Colour changing tiles :(-tile-2.jpg  
jennawaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

I can't be positive, but I doubt it's caused by a cleaner. Try using the cleaner on another area of the same floor. Those look like porcelain tiles and even acid shouldn't damage the glaze.

I'm leaning more towards a discoloration caused by pooling of shower water that has saturated the deck mud under the tiles. The top deck mud should be about 1 " or more right there. This mud is sitting on top of the shower pan membrane which has another layer of mud pre-slope under it which is supposed to be sloped to the weep holes in the drain. These weep holes are about 1 " below the tiles. If I'm right, the membrane is holding water and/or the weep holes are plugged.

But if I'm right, the client has probably seen this seen before, although I suppose it's possible this may be the first time.

It would be helpful if I knew the tiles were real porcelain or something else. How long ago was this shower built, and how long has the client lived there?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
colour changing , tiles , water damage