Cleaning Hardwood Floors - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 270

Cleaning hardwood floors

I'm redoing an old house (about 40 years old). I ripped up the original carpeting and there was a carpet pad underneath that was red in color and very rough - almost like burlap. I guess that's what they used back then. Luckily, the floors are finished oak but in the areas where there was a lot of foot traffic, the floors are roughed up and red. They're roughed up because of the rough cloth that the padding was made from and red because of the dye that was used. I used some goo gone and was able to clean an area, but it'll take me a year to clean the entire hallway and other affected areas. Is there some kind of buffer I can rent to make the job quicker? Thanks
joeg679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2015, 08:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6

You could rent the sanding equipment that the refinishing companies use, but there is a very steep learning curve with little room for error.
Any ideas on what type of finish is on the flooring now?
Is this home going to be your long term/ forever home?
It might be worth it to have a couple flooring companies come out to have a look at it and give you a cost for refinishing the whole floor.
I'm not saying that you can't give it a shot... Just that having a company that does the work regularly will have it done quicker.
Hell, there's a YouTube video out there of a guy that sanded his flooring down with a random orbit sander....

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
asevereid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2015, 08:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asevereid View Post
You could rent the sanding equipment that the refinishing companies use, but there is a very steep learning curve with little room for error.
Any ideas on what type of finish is on the flooring now?
Is this home going to be your long term/ forever home?
It might be worth it to have a couple flooring companies come out to have a look at it and give you a cost for refinishing the whole floor.
I'm not saying that you can't give it a shot... Just that having a company that does the work regularly will have it done quicker.
Hell, there's a YouTube video out there of a guy that sanded his flooring down with a random orbit sander....

There's a stain and a clear poly on it now. I've sanded floors before and re-stained, but I don't really need to do that here - I just need to get the crap off the surface. Maybe I can just use some kind of buffing pad or something...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg679 View Post
There's a stain and a clear poly on it now. I've sanded floors before and re-stained, but I don't really need to do that here - I just need to get the crap off the surface. Maybe I can just use some kind of buffing pad or something...
You are going to have to use a pad that scrubs the gunk off. Murphy Oil's Soap and a scrubbing pad will take the top layer off. Depending on how old the floors are. If they are Varnished, the top cover is very thin and the floors will have to be properly prepped.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6

Ah, I see...
I've used a Scotch Brite pad on an RO sander in a pinch with Goo Gone to clean aluminum thresholds before... Not sure how that's work on flooring though.

asevereid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by asevereid View Post
Ah, I see...
I've used a Scotch Brite pad on an RO sander in a pinch with Goo Gone to clean aluminum thresholds before... Not sure how that's work on flooring though.
It works just fine, but you have to use Murphy's Oil Soap on the floors.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
asevereid (11-23-2015), joeg679 (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 09:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
It works just fine, but you have to use Murphy's Oil Soap on the floors.
ok, thanks!
Old 11-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,402

http://www6.homedepot.com/tool-truck...14A/index.html

ron45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement