Ceramic Tile Used On Porch Posts - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2015, 02:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 877

Ceramic Tile used on Porch posts

I am planning to use some large 16 by 24 tile that looks like smaller stone tile on my four 16 inch square by 40 inch high porch post bases. The posts are made with five 16 inch chimney blocks stacked and the centers filled with concrete and rebar which is also embedded in slab. I was going to use some fake stone but now would rather use the tile. My question is what should I use for mortar? They will be semi protected from weather being under the porch roof with large overhang. I also would like to let the mortar become the grout also at the time of installation. Would a thin set like used for indoor tile be advisable or should I mix up some kind of Portland cement/sand ratio?

Also one other question I will need to drill thru the tile to attach brackets for porch railing. What is best to use for that? I have a good hammer drill and would want to use either blue concrete screws or plastic anchors and screws to attach the brackets.

Thanks
JM
Attached Thumbnails
Ceramic Tile used on Porch posts-image.jpg  
ddsrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

A good quality modified thinset should be fine for tile to block---what are you doing to get a finished looking outside corner?

What you use to drill holes depends on the tile---masonry bit with a hammer drill usually orks ell--but some porcelain tiles need a diamond coring bit--I get mine from Hong Kong --Check Ebay---
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2015, 03:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 877

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
A good quality modified thinset should be fine for tile to block---what are you doing to get a finished looking outside corner?

What you use to drill holes depends on the tile---masonry bit with a hammer drill usually orks ell--but some porcelain tiles need a diamond coring bit--I get mine from Hong Kong --Check Ebay---
Mike
The outside corners may be a problem. I am going to cut with a rented diamond wet saw and the edges will at least be smooth. I don't know how the interior color will be. I could buy some fake stone corners and butt the tile against them and it would look different from standard but could look OK. Does the diamond bit just rotate in a standard drill?

Thanks
JM
ddsrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2015, 05:05 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

To finish off the outside corners,look at the metal trims made by Schluter---they come in many styles,colors and a few different thicknesses----Home Depot carries a few--you might want to look there to see what they look like---
ddsrph (05-25-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 05:10 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

The diamond bits just use a slow speed drill--my battery drill works fine--water is needed to cool the bit.

A Bosch masonry bit with a hammer drill is my usual method---I've drilled hundreds of holes without ever breaking a tile--perhaps I have just been lucky hundreds of times---I do know when to go to the diamond bits--which are slow and rather expensive to use compared to the masonry bits.
ddsrph (05-25-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement