Carpet Tiles Over Hardwood Floors? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2015, 09:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 297

Carpet tiles over hardwood floors?

Wife and I recently expanded our family, and will soon start converting a mostly unused room into a playroom. The entire house is hardwood floors, which are in good condition, and were re-coated earlier this year.

The playroom is roughly 11x13. I'd like to have soft flooring. Just seems like a better solution for playing on the ground constantly, and knocking over towers made of wood blocks. large rugs get cost prohibitive pretty quickly. I have a feeling our cats would go berserk on the brightly colored interlocking foam mats.

We live pretty close to one of the major carpet manufacturing hubs in the US, and there are several warehouse type places that sell carpet tiles. I was thinking of something like this. I'd be into it for something under $150 including enough spares to last awhile. If it's a total failure, and we decide to do something different, it'd be fairly easy to remove and not a huge sunk cost.

Thoughts?
red92s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2015, 03:08 PM   #2
Artist

Rewards Points: 42

Those squares look like they'd be fun in a child's play room. While you're mulling over what you want to try, don't forget to take a look at remnant pieces of carpet, and ask about having the edge bound.

I've had remnants cut to size for an area rug need, and bound, and even good quality non-skid padding adhered to the back of them for much less than you'd guess. If you're feeling enterprising, you can bind it yourself with all manner of finishes, by hand. Its awkward, but cheap.
HotCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2015, 03:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 6

I also have kids and we installed the carpet tiles for them. I think it is the most convenient and not very expensive option.
richardrich44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2015, 06:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,997

They work well for what you want to do but the adhesive may not play well with your floor finish.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:07 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,312

The Habitat ReStores nearest to me sell brand new large carpet squares for 50 cents a piece. They're 18"x18". I put down a few in my garage/workshop to cushion the feet from the concrete.

Check out ReStore if there is one near you.
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:08 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 6

Carpet tiles is not the best option, it would be good if you try hardwood flooring.
garyjnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:38 AM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,338

I used them.

Waste of money.

If there is any dirt under them, they start to shift. Then you get dirt between the tiles.

As a father of 5......there will never be carpet in our house.

If you really want a 'soft' surface for the babies, then a rug would be a good choice.

Otherwise, stick with the hardwood.

Side note....you don't want to know how much dirt and germs carpet will hold.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement