Carpet Removal, Terrazzo Restoration - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2018, 12:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Carpet removal, terrazzo restoration

So I bought a house this year that came with some pretty gross carpets, not sure how old they are but I'm done with trying to make them presentable. The house is an old 50s build and underneath the carpet is a decent terrazzo that I would like to get cleaned up and looking decent because I wont have the money for all new flooring for a while.

Need to know the best way to go about getting the carpet the tack strips off without damaging the terrazzo, and the best way to get terrazzo cleaned up nicely. Before we moved in our realtor had mentioned there are multiple ways to do it but some methods can leave nasty residues and what not behind that dull the floor, but that's about the extent of what I remember him saying. I'm finding conflicting information online and a lack of helpful information in general. Basically need to know the best way to get them as clean as possible (cleaning products, chemicals, supplies, tools etc) and the best way to seal or protect or shine them up to look presentable and not like just a dirty bare floor. Bonus points if you know how to patch/repair any small dents in the terrazzo, I have one spot that looks like someone tried drilling into it and it caused some small damage.

Also, there is an area where the liviing room carpet meets the kitchen tile in a large curved shape. I'm not sure how to reconcile the height difference that will occur when the carpets are ripped out. It will be a stark difference because the tile is pretty thick, it will inevitably trip someone. The curved shape makes it even more confusing to deal with. I do have a couple boxes of the tile the previous owner left in a closet though if that will come in handy at all. Any ideas how how to do some sort of transition from the tile to shorter bare floor?
Ces43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2018, 12:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4

Re: Carpet removal, terrazzo restoration

Have you already restored your terrazzo?
MrTerrazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2018, 12:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 392

Your best bet is to contact an OLD time tile company that has been in business for more than 40 years they should have all the equipment required to restore the Terrazzo & polish it this type work is not a DIY type project.
If you can't find a tile company that does Terrazzo check on some of the shops that make counter tops they may be as close to a Terrazzo company as you will find in your area. As for the patch the same company will be able to handle it with out signs of a repair.
ClarenceBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2018, 01:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

That is not entirely accurate you can polish it yourself ez enough especially if you don't have thousands of dollars to spare.
MrTerrazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement