Carpet Cleaning - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 97

Carpet cleaning

We have carpet in our living room that is over wood floor. From what I can tell from a small area I uncovered for a front entry, the wood is in decent shape other than carpet glue for the padding. I don't want to pull all the carpet up yet and deal with the glue and refinishing. But the carpet is at least 15 years old, and even though it is in good shape it is dirty. My question is- can I run my carpet cleaner to clean the carpet without damaging the wood floor underneath? We eventually want to uncover the wood floor and refinish it, but due to money and time constraints that is not a possibility at the moment. But I also don't want to do anything that would be detrimental to future use of the wood flooring. So, can I get away with cleaning the carpet without damaging the wood floor underneath? Thanks for any help or advice.
Centex2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

The rugs in your house see a lot of wear and tear. Carpets are usually never made to last over 10 years, especially if you actually have young children or perhaps dogs and cats. Even when you vacuum every day, dust continues to enters in the depths of the carpets and rugs. Carpet or rug makers recommend that you actually should have the carpets cleaned on a once-a-year basis. Consider a professional company.This is going to help boost the lifespan of the rugs and carpeting.
bickeldan817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 17,678

You can spend money to have the carpet professionally cleaned....and still end up with 15 year old carpet....

Or...pull it up...and spend the money to have it refinished....

I'll take hardwood floors any day over carpet.....easier to clean....and nothing to trap smells...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #4

Well, I think I will pass on the professional cleaning. I have never come across a prof. carpet cleaner that did any better than what I could do (and have done) with either my own machine or a rented one. Not saying there are not really good awesome cleaners out there, I just have not come across them. Plus that entails spending more money than I can spend right now (money tied up in bigger repairs and fixes).

Ddawg, I agree with you 100% on the wood floors. I refinished the wood floors in my son's nursery before he got here and they are soooo much better than the awful carpet. I would much rather have the wood than carpet, especially 15 yr old carpet that someone else has lived on. But as I said time and money constraints are keeping me from pulling all the carpet up and refinishing. That is why I am wondering about damaging the wood floors under the carpet if I use my cleaner. If I just clean the carpet for now, it would mean $5-10 on cleaning solution and a few hours of my time. But as I said I don't want to damage the wood because I do want to uncover it later. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex2011 View Post
Well, I think I will pass on the professional cleaning. I have never come across a prof. carpet cleaner that did any better than what I could do (and have done) with either my own machine or a rented one. Not saying there are not really good awesome cleaners out there, I just have not come across them. Plus that entails spending more money than I can spend right now (money tied up in bigger repairs and fixes).

Ddawg, I agree with you 100% on the wood floors. I refinished the wood floors in my son's nursery before he got here and they are soooo much better than the awful carpet. I would much rather have the wood than carpet, especially 15 yr old carpet that someone else has lived on. But as I said time and money constraints are keeping me from pulling all the carpet up and refinishing. That is why I am wondering about damaging the wood floors under the carpet if I use my cleaner. If I just clean the carpet for now, it would mean $5-10 on cleaning solution and a few hours of my time. But as I said I don't want to damage the wood because I do want to uncover it later. Thanks.

What kind of padding is under the carpet,if it's that foam rubber stuff i'd go ahead with cleaning it,and as you stated you'll get a better job doing it your self that farming it out to a so called pro,been there and done that.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #6

I do have the foam padding under the carpet. I was kind of worried that it might absorb the water and not dry and the wood would stay wet and start to cup. But I guess if I plan to refinish it, I might just have a little extra work in the refinishing project. I might try it. Maybe do small sections of the carpet so the water doesn't have time to soak into the foam before I suck it up with the carpet cleaner.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex2011 View Post
I do have the foam padding under the carpet. I was kind of worried that it might absorb the water and not dry and the wood would stay wet and start to cup. But I guess if I plan to refinish it, I might just have a little extra work in the refinishing project. I might try it. Maybe do small sections of the carpet so the water doesn't have time to soak into the foam before I suck it up with the carpet cleaner.

Don't know what machine your using,but I used a Hoover steam vac and it did a very good job without the solution soaking below the carpet itself,as I was worried about the flooring beneat it also.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #8
Mr

Rewards Points: 10

Carpets need to be vacuumed once a week and more often in areas of heavy traffic. Frequent vacuuming prolongs the life of your carpet by preventing a buildup of gritty particles that can cut carpet fibers. Every few weeks, take a little extra time and use your crevice tool for cleaning around baseboards and radiators and in other hard-to-reach places... Great sources
MikoMcGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement