Can You Glue A Floating-type Bamboo Flooring? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2018, 12:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 338

Can you glue a floating-type bamboo flooring?

Hello All,
I am getting ready to install some engineered bamboo flooring which is the click-lock style for floating systems. The sides are click lock and the ends have a tongue and groove.

The instructions state it to be a floating system and make no mention of gluing it down which was my original intention. I was sold 16ga of Bostic for this purpose (1k sq ft).

Anyhow, is it possible to use glue with a click-lock style? I'd have to lock two pieces together and then tap them together so the ends would butt up. Is that going to be possible with glue because it will require a 1/4in movement to butt up? It just seems like it would be highly difficult for this method?

Otherwise, is bamboo flooring and underlayment sturdy enough that there would be little to no movement or bounce?

Thanks,
Ralph
Ralph III is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2018, 06:05 AM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,028

Re: Can you glue a floating-type bamboo flooring?

The floating flooring sturdiness depends on the sub-floor that it is laid on.

on concrete it is solid, on a weak particle board subfloor with poor joisting, it is going to slip around.

Most people leave the field floating, and just nail or glue the edges after getting it all jointed tightly.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2018, 06:24 AM   #3
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,246

You don't tap the ends to engage the overlaying gap holding feature. When you click lock from left to right, the ends automatically are held in place by the next row of flooring. You must use an underlayment, so gluing is ineffective. The flooring must float completely, only being held in place by your shoe molding on the edges leaving a 1/4" gap. The molding is nailed to the base and not to the flooring.

IF you are using a good quality flooring, you won't have any "bounce" or movement. I have it installed in our bedroom and have had no problems in 5 years or so. Can you link us to the flooring you are using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2018, 07:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 338

Thanks for the quick replies! The flooring will be installed on a concrete foundation and can be seen HERE.

I've installed true 3/4 tongue and groove flooring (nail down) but never engineered flooring. We had 1,500 sq ft of engineered flooring installed at our previous home and it was glued down using Bostics. It had a nice solid feel that we expect from hardwood flooring.

My main concerns are as follows:

1. My in-laws installed a floating floor and my wife and I didn't like the "spongy" feeling at all. So this is our main concern. That flooring however and others we have walked on was made of laminate. So maybe this bamboo flooring will feel more solid?

2. There seems to be significantly more expansion with the floating systems? The instructions say to allow 3/4 in which is more that I desire because I'd have to undercut all the existing baseboards. Can I actually get away with 3/8in or 1/2in allowance? My quarter round would hide all edges in that instance and I wouldn't have to undercut baseboards.

Just FYI: The flooring is denoted as "glueless" but I've seen posts stating it can be glued? However, as I stated prior. The ends of the boards are interlocking. So if I glued it down....I'd interlock the sides as usual but then I'd have to tap each plank on the end in order to butt it up against the last plank. You cannot just lay a plank on the last plank installed because of the tongue and groove style. See bottom pic.

God Bless,
Ralph
Attached Thumbnails
Can you glue a floating-type bamboo flooring?-img_2445.jpg  

Last edited by Ralph III; 04-28-2018 at 07:49 AM.
Ralph III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:05 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 348

Bamboo is a grass(not wood) so it reacts to humidity much more so than wood. The floating installation allows for this expansion/contraction. If you glue it in place it has no where to go and will buckle. Follow manufacturers instructions if a warranty issue comes up later.
Tymbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:46 AM   #6
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,246

Thanks for that last photo. We installed 5 1/8" hand scraped bamboo and the ends didn't require tapping. I think it is a better locking mechanism, since yours will require a double action and the propensity of damaging the T&G on each board while tapping. As Tymbo mentioned, the material didn't call for glue down installation, and doing so could void any warranty.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Dec...009G/300043018
Old 04-28-2018, 10:54 AM   #7
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,244

I've done several glue downs with click lock engineered hardwood with no problem.

It was alot more labor and cost, but it did give a more solid (less hollow) feel to the floor.

But I don't know about BAMBOO... especially with the install expansion requirements being pretty much larger than standard 1/2 or 3/8 gap.

Sounds like it may be more sensitive to expansion. Also the fact that you have TnG ends, and not click lock type ends concerns me with expansion and possible buckling.

While click lock joints seems tight, there is a small expansion within that joint that I would suppose allows for minute expansion at each joint... not so with a tight TnG end joint.

I would call the manufacturer on the issue.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,412

If you look under the specifications it reads.

"" Secondary Installation Method Glue down ""
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement