Can This Hardwood Be Saved? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By MTN REMODEL LLC
  • 3 Post By giansean
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By giansean
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 12-19-2017, 10:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 516

Can this hardwood be saved?

So, we had some overflow problems with the dishwasher on Saturday, and had quite a bit of sudsy water sitting on our solid red oak floor (think the washing machine scene from the Brady Bunch). By the time it was discovered it had probably sat on there and dribbled through for 20-30 minutes or so.

Once discovered, we cleaned it up quick, and I had a dehumidifier going in the kitchen and heat/fans from underneath. At the end of Saturday it began to cup and warp a bit (no buckling except for one very small board which can easily be replaced)

Had a flood mitigation company come on Monday (the answering service screwed up and didn't pass on the message when I called Sunday morning). They did some moisture readings and said some spots were a little high but it was showing more or less close to dry.

As you can see from the pic, this is the aftermath. I talked to my floor guy who said the only thing we can do is wait. It's too early to re-sand anything, and it may get better in time by itself. The floor itself is only like a 1.5 years old, so to say I'm upset is a gross understatement

I don't expect it will be totally flat again, but does anyone have any experience w/ cases like this, and seen improvements over time?

Thx for any feedback!
Attached Thumbnails
Can this hardwood be saved?-20171218_145448.jpg  
giansean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2017, 10:07 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,482

Re: Can this hardwood be saved?

My GF had a sink run over, looked just like that her insurance replaced the floor, stairs and hallway upstairs. $28,000 it cost her $500.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
giansean (12-20-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2017, 05:54 AM   #3
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,286

Go ahead and ask me why I don't advocate hardwood in a kitchen. But it's there, so you have to make the best of it. I think after all the moisture is abated, it can be sanded and refinished. I agree with Neal that if you have insurance, they may have a better solution.
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
giansean (12-20-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2017, 06:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 534

Is this a 3/4 thick hardwood floor? The cupping will go away in time. You may have a small gap in between the planks that swelled. If it's a thinner floor I can't say. Insurance claim they will replace the entire floor or replace the area then sand and refinish the rest
BayouRunner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BayouRunner For This Useful Post:
giansean (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 09:18 AM   #5

Yes 3/4" red oak planks. I assumed the cupping would abate somewhat, just trying to figure out how long to run the dehumidifier above / heat below etc etc. From what I read it can take days, weeks, or even months to fully dry. I was told even afterwards it may need to be refinished, which sucks because it's just been done. It would also have to be the whole floor (the floorplan is pretty open). which means moving out all the furniture... again :P

My wife is convinced that drying it out too fast made it curl worse. I can't say I agree with that as everything I've read has said to dry as fast as possible, then hope for the best.

I wanted tile... got overruled (#listentoyourhusband)
Old 12-20-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,254

Quote:
Originally Posted by giansean View Post
Yes 3/4" red oak planks. I assumed the cupping would abate somewhat, just trying to figure out how long to run the dehumidifier above / heat below etc etc. From what I read it can take days, weeks, or even months to fully dry. I was told even afterwards it may need to be refinished, which sucks because it's just been done. It would also have to be the whole floor (the floorplan is pretty open). which means moving out all the furniture... again :P

My wife is convinced that drying it out too fast made it curl worse. I can't say I agree with that as everything I've read has said to dry as fast as possible, then hope for the best.

I wanted tile... got overruled (#listentoyourhusband)

Give your wife a lot of sandpaper for X-mas...???????
giansean (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 09:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
[/B]

Give your wife a lot of sandpaper for X-mas...???????
You must not be married :P
Old 12-20-2017, 12:55 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 534

Maybe it might be best to notify your insurance but not make a claim. It will drop flat. Just going to take some time. Some gaps may be as wide as 1/8” but not necessarily. If under your dishwasher there is no flooring then I would pull it out so the dehumidifier can dry it. If the flooring carries all the way under I wouldn’t pull it out. Just for your info I put a new filter on my refrigerator and it leaked over the weekend while I was out of town. I was mortified at first but it went flat again. It was worse than yours. Took at least a month or so. We looked at that for maybe 20 years. Nobody that came over noticed it. But all you could see was the small gaps in between planks that were compressed when the floor swelled up. Aggravating yes but it really wasn’t a big deal. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BayouRunner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BayouRunner For This Useful Post:
giansean (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #9
retired framer

The floor I said was replaced by insurance took about 6 weeks for them to start on it by then everything was flat and good. And the contractor didn't care so he started anyway.
I would still notify the insurance company in case later you want to do a claim.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
giansean (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #10

Thanks guys... in fact I did call the insurance co on Monday to see what could be done, and the agent specifically said that she'll make a note so that it's on record.

The dishwasher is actually sitting on an old tile floor as are the islands on each side (long story) so there is actually some crossflow underneath the boards. I'm actually kinda wondering if that gap between materials actually made it worse and allowed water to really soak the subfloor. Either way, it's done now. We can hope for the best, and I'll report back in (hopefully) not too long to close it out. Thanks for the encouraging words
Old 12-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #11
retired framer

Quote:
Thanks guys... in fact I did call the insurance co on Monday to see what could be done, and the agent specifically said that she'll make a note so that it's on record.

The dishwasher is actually sitting on an old tile floor as are the islands on each side (long story) so there is actually some crossflow underneath the boards. I'm actually kinda wondering if that gap between materials actually made it worse and allowed water to really soak the subfloor. Either way, it's done now. We can hope for the best, and I'll report back in (hopefully) not too long to close it out. Thanks for the encouraging words
The first thing the insurance people had done was carefully remove the molding around the wet area to speed the drying.
I have always been against the wood floor in the kitchen but this flood the GF had was in the utility room on a tile floor and the water just run under the wall to the hardwood in the hall so it doesn't make any difference, water goes where water goes.
giansean likes this.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
The first thing the insurance people had done was carefully remove the molding around the wet area to speed the drying.
I have always been against the wood floor in the kitchen but this flood the GF had was in the utility room on a tile floor and the water just run under the wall to the hardwood in the hall so it doesn't make any difference, water goes where water goes.
That it does. In our case it was probably a blessing too that the lower subfloor is tongue and groove and allows both water to empty into the basement and air to get up into the assembly from below.

When I had the flood co. there, their primary concern is always of mold, not cosmetics. They said all things considered the risk was pretty low for mold at this point and in most cases where they are needed, the floor needs to be refinished anyway. It definitely could have been worse... I'm just angry at myself for deciding to wash the dishes, which itself is pretty uncharacteristic of me lol.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:47 PM   #13
retired framer

Quote:
That it does. In our case it was probably a blessing too that the lower subfloor is tongue and groove and allows both water to empty into the basement and air to get up into the assembly from below.

When I had the flood co. there, their primary concern is always of mold, not cosmetics. They said all things considered the risk was pretty low for mold at this point and in most cases where they are needed, the floor needs to be refinished anyway. It definitely could have been worse... I'm just angry at myself for deciding to wash the dishes, which itself is pretty uncharacteristic of me lol.
I didn't think hers would be covered and I had already line up the wood and found some one to cut it and was looking at stain. The damage was only about 50 sq ft.. They didn't even look at fixing anything. the adjuster just looked from the door and said, that has to go.
giansean likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement