Building Up Subfloor For Laminate - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Building up subfloor for laminate

I have been redoing my floors to a laminate. I am at the back half of the house now and found that my kitchen subfloor has been built up 1/2 inch which I know is common. I would rather not put a second transition in the floor so it looks like I will need to build up the floor using 1/2" OSB.

My question is how to go about doing this? If I am using screws instead of nails can I get away with not going into the joists? Should I glue down first? Do I need to leave any gaps for expansion? Any advice would be great. Thanks!
pittmanrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,376

#1 I'd never use laminate in a kitchen, bathroom any wet area.
One wet event and it's trash.
Underlayment should never be screwed, attached to the joist or be glued.
Building up the kitchen floor is not "common" as you stated, what where they trying to cover up by adding it?
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

When I say kitchen is built up, I mean there is a layer of what looks to be 1/2" particle board under the Vinyl linoleum floor that is in there now. It is the same in both bathrooms as well. I have seen this in other homes since I have been looking recently.

When you say that the underlayment OSB should never be screwed, attached to the joists or glued, what is the proper way to attach it then? Nailed just to the subfloor?
pittmanrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

For an underlayment under laminate--OSB would be fine---BC ply would be my first choice---the underlayment is usually stapled using a small crown staple gune--screws will work--but are a lot more effort and often cause puckering--so be carefil--

you do not need to hit floor joists--it is actually better if you do not---no gaps are needed.
JetSwet (11-08-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement