Building Up Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jlhaslip
  • 1 Post By GrnMtnDIY

Old 03-24-2017, 09:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Building up floor

So here's the deal......
We have a walk-out basement and unfinished concrete floors right now. the portion where you walk-out was a sun porch that was not included in the square footage of our home until I ran heat into it. This sun porch currently has a slab with 2-1/4" red brick on top of it to support the completely awesome (not at all) hot tub. The slab for the rest of the basement is actually that 2-1/4" higher than the slab in the sun porch. Also, we are in the northeast (almost Quebec).

Here's how I am building up the floor:
ripping some 2x PT sleepers, gluing and screwing to the concrete, and putting the 5/8" (or 3/4") subfloor on top of those, thus getting the whole basement floor up to the same level.

My two questions: Does this seem like a logical route? And, Should I insulate, and if so,any recommendations for insulating between the sleepers (I was thinking 1" rigid) ?

Thanks in advance
GrnMtnDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2017, 10:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 708

Re: Building up floor

Sounds like a sound suggestion, but I do not understand the need to rip material.
Lay some pressure treated material on the flat and drop some 3/4 inch plywood on top to get the 2 1/4 inch required depth.
Is there any slope to this slab?
I have done this for basements and included shims to level the subfloor. Drilled and inserted nails which wedge into place.
https://www.concretefasteners.com/co...-nylon-nail-it

As for insulation, tough call. I am sure Bud or Gary will be along shortly to specify some detail to follow. They are the resident experts on this aspect and I defer to their judgement.
de-nagorg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 12

Re: Building up floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
Sounds like a sound suggestion, but I do not understand the need to rip material.
Lay some pressure treated material on the flat and drop some 3/4 inch plywood on top to get the 2 1/4 inch required depth.
Is there any slope to this slab?
I have done this for basements and included shims to level the subfloor. Drilled and inserted nails which wedge into place.
https://www.concretefasteners.com/co...-nylon-nail-it

As for insulation, tough call. I am sure Bud or Gary will be along shortly to specify some detail to follow. They are the resident experts on this aspect and I defer to their judgement.
Thanks - I was going to rip it down to save on material cost (225 sf area), as this project has a substantial budget due to the wrongs committed by previous owners.
(BTW - Edmonton was my previous home, and I still work remotely for my employer up there- Very underrated city
jlhaslip likes this.
GrnMtnDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement