Buckling Hardwood Planks - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 06-28-2020, 10:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 52

Buckling hardwood planks

see post #2

Last edited by nytimes770; 06-28-2020 at 10:23 PM. Reason: typo
nytimes770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2020, 10:17 PM   #2

Re: Buckling hardwood planks

I've got two hardwood planks that gradually lifted up on their long edges over time. They're not lifted up that high - i can hardly tell visually. The house is 5 yrs old. Google tells me it's most likely due to moisture but i don't know if that's the case.

What's the best way to fix this? Should I nail it in or use some sort of wood glue or epoxy? Or even this product: www.fixafloorworldwide.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2020, 10:49 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,660

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimes770 View Post
I've got two hardwood planks that gradually lifted up on their long edges over time. They're not lifted up that high - i can hardly tell visually. The house is 5 yrs old. Google tells me it's most likely due to moisture but i don't know if that's the case.

What's the best way to fix this? Should I nail it in or use some sort of wood glue or epoxy? Or even this product: www.fixafloorworldwide.com

I would spend more time finding the source of the moisture, if you can solve that, It has a good chance of going back down.
SeniorSitizen likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 02:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,558

Plain sawed lumber is more susceptible to cupping than quarter sawed lumber and to add to the problem it's common to only apply a finish to 1 side when unfinished raw flooring is used. With the quality of wood flooring we have today you may be real fortunate with only 2 being cupped. What i'd like to see for a solution is replace those two but that isn't always possible.

Are the problem planks located in an area that could possibly have a enhanced moisture issue?

EDIT: EDIT:
Attached Images

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:18 PM   #5

This particular area should be less susceptible to moisture than most areas of the house.

Could using a hair dryer on it work? I actually don't have any extra pieces of matching hardwood. not sure how easy it will be go find it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Plain sawed lumber is more susceptible to cupping than quarter sawed lumber and to add to the problem it's common to only apply a finish to 1 side when unfinished raw flooring is used. With the quality of wood flooring we have today you may be real fortunate with only 2 being cupped. What i'd like to see for a solution is replace those two but that isn't always possible.

Are the problem planks located in an area that could possibly have a enhanced moisture issue?

EDIT: EDIT:
Old 06-29-2020, 09:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,558

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimes770 View Post
This particular area should be less susceptible to moisture than most areas of the house.

Could using a hair dryer on it work? I actually don't have any extra pieces of matching hardwood. not sure how easy it will be go find it either.
I seriously doubt a hair drier would be successful because; when we lay a piece of wood out on moist earth in the sun we often see it cup like the piece at 12 o'clock in the picture.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement