Best Way To Lay Carpet In This Room? Or What Kind Of Flooring.. - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2015, 11:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 158

Best way to lay carpet in this room? Or what kind of flooring..

Hi,

I have a finished attic room with OSB currently on the floors and am planning to lay carpet on it. It's a kind of awkward layout with stairs coming up to a L shaped walkway. I'm not planning to put carpet on the stairs since they're finished hardwood already.

I've kicked in a few rooms in the past, but I'm no pro installer in any way. I was wondering what the best way would be to lay the carpet in this room to reduce seams and waste? I was suggested by someone at Menards to cut across the width of the room (15'3" at 12' up), but that's going to make a huge seam in the middle. I was thinking to buy 2'10" more than 25'2" so I can cut out the L shape for the walkway, and also some more for the closet, which will run 2 seams total (1 in the closet and 1 in the walkway). I can only use 12' carpet since that's all they have for in stock carpet and I don't want to more than $1/sqft.

I put some pictures for a better idea. If you guys have any better ideas let me know, or any insight for installing carpet, or any other kind of flooring that would be great. I might even go for laminate if you guys suggest that too. If I do choose laminate, do I need to lay a moisture barrier over OSB? This is a rental by the way, which is why I'm trying to go cheap.
mikemark8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2015, 11:24 PM   #2

Here are the pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to lay carpet in this room? Or what kind of flooring..-1_attic.jpg   Best way to lay carpet in this room? Or what kind of flooring..-2_attic.jpg   Best way to lay carpet in this room? Or what kind of flooring..-3_l-walk.jpg   Best way to lay carpet in this room? Or what kind of flooring..-4_measurements.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2015, 08:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,536

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemark8808 View Post
I was wondering what the best way would be to lay the carpet in this room to reduce seams and waste?.
Well, you can reduce seams OR reduce waste, but more often than not one is at the expense of the other so it's almost impossible to accomplish both at the same time.

When I do carpet I choose to reduce seams. A seam no matter how well done will eventually come apart, especially if it's located in a traffic area. Most often you have some kind of underlay underneath which means the seam flexes every time it's stepped on. Years of flex, and carpet maintenance (cleaning) and even a good seam will come apart.

And it looks like you're in luck since you're not bigger than 12 feet in at least one direction. You can do the entire floor (with exception to the stairs) with no seams.

The hard part, I have always found anyway is unrolling a carpet (12x 26 in your case) in that area and getting it ready for cutting/trimming. They'll of course roll it up at the store in a 12 foot roll, but it looks like it might be easier for you to carry it in and place it while rolled as a 26 foot roll and start at the long wall (25' 2") and unroll from there. I always try and get one corner in place with a couple of inches overlap up the wall just in case something isn't square (I'll trim that after). Once a corner is in place I will temporarily screw it down so it doesn't move while line up the rest of the carpet. The carpet tack strips don't hold that great when you're shoving 200 lbs of carpet all over the place. Use your carpet kicker to stretch the other corner into place and spike it down. And then from there it's just a matter of unrolling, kicking and trimming until it's all laid. Leave the carpet near the stairs untrimmed until your ready to do the stairs. What you want is the carpet off the top landing extra long so that it folds down over at least the first riser.

There are some good youtube videos on carpeting stairs and there are a few different ways to do them. Suggest you take a look. It's not nearly as hard as it may appear.
Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #4

Wow thanks for the tips. Yeah before I did some rooms and kicking in would move the carpet around a bit. I tried using a wall trimmer before but it was awful, maybe someone else returned it after dulling the blade. I trimmed everything by hand.

I'm still confused as to how you are able to get NO seams. I thought I would get a seam by the end of the L shaped walkway into the room and a seam between the room and closet? Check my measurements again, it's 15'3" in width total.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 9,358

You mean like this, Bob?
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to lay carpet in this room? Or what kind of flooring..-carpet.jpg  
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,536

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemark8808 View Post
Check my measurements again, it's 15'3" in width total.
Wow....Sorry... you have 12 written on the dotted line that goes right across. I was tunnel visioning on that. The 15 changes things.

As crazy as it sounds, I would probably consider doing a long 25' seem closer to the long wall. It would be far easier to do a seam where SPS has drawn, but that'll be a heavy traffic area. If it one day starts coming up there it's going to look like crap and it'll be hard to fix. The majority of seam a few feet off the long wall will most likely spend its time buried under furniture.

Last edited by Bob Sanders; 09-20-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:11 PM   #7

Hmm I would do a long seam if I had a machine, but to be honest, I'm going to be doing the seams with a clothes iron, LOL. That's what I did for the last 2 times I laid carpet, just put some damp rags on top of the iron so that it doesn't burn the carpet, and it melts the carpet tape pretty good. I use a seam roller right away so it looks half way decent. Not professional but it looks ok, unless I messed up cutting it in the beginning. Most of the seams I did make me believe that cutting it perfect in the beginning produces the best result in the end no matter how you put it together...

You guys have any tips for kicking in? I usually set two sides and kick hard on the opposite sides.. It hurts the hell out of my knee even though I wear a hard knee pad and a decent kicker from Menards. I'm not sure I'm even doing it right because after I finish I feel like there are some big bubbles in the carpet when I walk on it (like I can't see it but I feel it go down to the pad maybe 1/8"?). I don't know how to describe it. Maybe this is normal.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:48 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 398

"When I do carpet I choose to reduce seams. A seam no matter how well done will eventually come apart, especially if it's located in a traffic area. Most often you have some kind of underlay underneath which means the seam flexes every time it's stepped on. Years of flex, and carpet maintenance ([COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]cleaning[/COLOR][/COLOR]) and even a good seam will come apart."
Actually this is completely wrong. A properly done seam is the strongest part of the carpet. Of course, what do I know, I have only been installing and teaching installing for 42 years.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:40 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,906

All but three of my living rooms are about 11 feet wide, so I've rarely had to do seams. For those three living rooms, I've avoided seams by buying 15 or 13 1/2 foot wide carpet. But, what I've found makes it much easier to carry a carpet is to roll it out on the floor at the company's warehouse, fold it in half so that it's only 6 feet long, and then roll it up (kinda) and get them to wrap it with plastic on their carpet rolling machine. If you put a nylon rope through the 6 foot long folded piece before rolling it up, you can then tie the ends of the rope together to make a handle for carrying the thing. Nylon is both light in weight and strong, so it adds little weight. The shorter roll is much wider, but being shorter it's much easier to take it around corners and up stair cases that have 90 or 180 degree corners in them. Usually the guys at the warehouse won't have any problem with you doing that.

Sorry. I just looked at your pictures, and your stairway is much too narrow for what I'm suggesting to work.

Another flooring that's real popular with landlords here in Winnipeg is vinyl plank flooring. Tenants love the stuff. It looks just like hardwood, and if you damage a plank, you can just replace that one piece (if you buy extra). It wears well, looks good, and is easy to install.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 09-21-2015 at 04:02 AM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:21 AM   #10
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 17,662

What part of the country are you in?

Having pulled the last remaining piece of carpet out of our house a few months ago, we will NEVER have carpet again.

Personally, I wouldn't want carpet on that OSB. You spill something and the OSB is going to soak it up.

If it was me, that area screams for laminate. Even if it's the cheap stuff from HD on a floating floor. A couple of rugs in the right places. Done.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement