Basement Tile Floor Problem - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2016, 09:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Basement tile floor problem

Hello all. New time homeowner and new to the board (although I've been trolling for a while). You guys are all great. Question - I'd like to tile my unfinished basement which has an old concrete floor. The floor is generally flat, although the big problem I am seeing is that on one side of the basement perimeter, where the block wall meets the floor, it looks like there was some sloppy concrete patchwork done. (Maybe some water issues in the past?). Well this makes the joint not flat at all and in one particular area, the patchwork is raised a good inch or two. Is there anyway to work around this for tiling or am I completely toast? The ceilings aren't that high to begin with, so building up a subfloor isn't ideal. Tough to see in the pictures. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Basement tile floor problem-img_0349.jpg   Basement tile floor problem-img_0350.jpg  
NT705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

Hi welcome,

I'm not seeing a block wall, but i could be wrong.

Hard to tell from here, but you should be able to smash that stuff in pic #1 out and redo it. Big hammer, chisel. Pic #2 looks like the typical lime/cement spray used in every poured wall. Scraping the floor/wall is standard operating procedure.

How old is this floor and you need to determine how flat it is using a long straight edge, string and helper or laser tool. Let us know.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement