Basement Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 944

Basement flooring

I'm in process of finishing out the basement on our 100yr old house. Though the basement stays fairly dry, except when a mortar joint seems to go bad on the old block foundation, I'm doing my best to keep my mind from attempting to put a wood flooring down to match the rest of the house!

With that said, I'm currently thinking about going with the wood looking tile. I've also entertained the idea of trying cork or bamboo. Can anyone give me real world pros or cons on these ideas?

I talked with a friend that does some flooring and he said the paint that's on the concrete isn't a big deal if I clean it really well. He says it's sticking to the concrete, so the tile should stick to it. His suggestion was a good scrubbing with clorox and water mix.

With the wood tile, I'm worried about it looking too much like a commercialized job, maybe that stems from McD's using that, but I saw some aged oak at a lowes that looked pretty nice. I've read the cork isn't great with pets and we do have pets. I've thought about painting and I thought really hard about staining the concrete, but there are so many low spots and some high spots, that I think it would be a P.I.A. to get it ready for stain. I can use my hammer drill with chisel attachment to knock down the high spots to prep for tile....

FWIW, the rest of the house is the original hardwood flooring, only tile is in the bathroom(s) and like I said the house is 100yr old and I want whatever I do to fit in with the feel of an old house. I don't want a real modern vibe in whatever I do. I worry the paint would make it seem like I cheaped out on the flooring!
Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

Put a French drain around the perimeter of the basement.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2015, 07:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,042

I disagree with your friend, read this link before you do anything.

http://www.laticrete.com/portals/0/tds/tds131.pdf
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2015, 08:52 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 107

Fix the water issue first. If water creeps in through a bad mortar joint then it likely anything you put on the floor will likely trap moisture that is always present and evaporating at the moment .
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #5

I fix the issues as they appear. I likely won't know until spring rains if any have remained or crept back. One of the problems with hollow concrete block foundation. Water gets in and travels, but i don't have lots of areas it is an issue. Latest one was because dogs dug near the house and it rained a bunch before i realized what they had done!

Thought about french drain for some of the problem areas, but not real easy to drain them away.....but I've gotten positive drainage on most areas.

As for the paint it sounds like if latex paint, it's ok if adhered well, but maybe I'll rent a machine to run over the entire floor before doing anything.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:00 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Brian View Post
I fix the issues as they appear. I likely won't know until spring rains if any have remained or crept back. One of the problems with hollow concrete block foundation. Water gets in and travels, but i don't have lots of areas it is an issue. Latest one was because dogs dug near the house and it rained a bunch before i realized what they had done!

Thought about french drain for some of the problem areas, but not real easy to drain them away.....but I've gotten positive drainage on most areas.

As for the paint it sounds like if latex paint, it's ok if adhered well, but maybe I'll rent a machine to run over the entire floor before doing anything.

First, scrub a small area with a solution of household detergent and warm water. Rinse well and towel dry. Then soak a cotton ball, Q-tip or soft rag in alcohol and rub it back and forth over the cleaned area. If paint comes off, it's latex,if not it's oil based.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
SeniorSitizen (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 10:40 AM   #7

It's latex paint. I've already removed some and can tell by the way it comes up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement