Basement Floor Project - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 66

Basement Floor Project

On dry concrete (relatively) floor, planning on going vapor barrier, 1/2" xps insullation,
5/8" goung and groove plywood, followed by nail.down 7" plank hardwood....any holes in tje plan.

Would go click lock, bit want the 7"....need insulation for warmth on the dogs...thx
geenowalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 638

How will the plywood be secured?

I would put down PT 2 by 4 sleepers on the flat with Tapcons (or a Ramset) and put the foam in between. Glue and staple the plywood to the sleepers.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 1,652

Never seen that done that the wood didn't rot. Why not glue the wood to the concrete or float engineered?
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
How will the plywood be secured?

I would put down PT 2 by 4 sleepers on the flat with Tapcons (or a Ramset) and put the foam in between. Glue and staple the plywood to the sleepers.

I like that idea better. Using a ramset would make it much easier. A 2x4 is a bit thick though, maybe could use 5/4 deck boards or something thinner?
taylorjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Never seen that done that the wood didn't rot. Why not glue the wood to the concrete or float engineered?
He wants some insulation under the flooring. I know in the northern states you really need some insulation on that floor, or even in floor heating to combat the cold temps in winter. Otherwise your feet freeze.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #6

I dont want to put down sleepers as it takes up to much height. I was thinking about edge gluing the t&G plywood (Taping the xps) edges or tapconning through the plywood and xps into the floor. We have used Dricore before, and the dricore simply flattens out on the floor leaving the "air channel" useless. If I use a click lock flooring, I an not worried about anything (xps, sub, or finished floor moving that much.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:28 PM   #7

I would use some kind of sleepers. What if you used PT 1x4 and some 3/4" XPS?
Old 07-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjm View Post
I would use some kind of sleepers. What if you used PT 1x4 and some 3/4" XPS?
PT 1x4 and 3/4 XPS + 5/8 ply plus the 1/2 for the laminate chews up 3"....figuring on 1/2 xps and the 5/8 ply.

Sleepers are overkill i think as airflow underneath will not be that significant for the amount of water I get (none). Mold will still form on PT faster than the straight concrete (if this is incorrect, please let me know).
Old 07-14-2014, 04:00 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 97

To my understanding, so long as you have a permeable vapor barrier you shouldn't have any mold issues. It's once you start putting plastic down on slab or something impermeable that you trap any moisture that wants to escape causing, an eventual, mold and failure condition.
hboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #10
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 638

Quote:
Originally Posted by geenowalker View Post
PT 1x4 and 3/4 XPS + 5/8 ply plus the 1/2 for the laminate chews up 3"....figuring on 1/2 xps and the 5/8 ply.

Sleepers are overkill i think as airflow underneath will not be that significant for the amount of water I get (none). Mold will still form on PT faster than the straight concrete (if this is incorrect, please let me know).
The 1x4 PT is 3/4", the same as the XPS. Install the XPS between the sleepers not on top. Then the plywood. Same height as your plan.

If you install the plywood on top of the foam without sleepers, your floor will be spongy.

Personally, I think any wood or laminate product in that situation will be a problem. I would look at some of the luxury solid vinyl plank systems. Will also help with your total height issues. Karndean is one brand.

Last edited by rjniles; 07-14-2014 at 04:06 PM.
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #11

Put down LVT last summer in a rental (alterna)....and eh'...would rather spend the money twice as for the cost of LVT, i would put regular tile down. The LVT that is supposed to look like wood...doesnt. I get what you are saying about the sleepers, but the with compressive strength of Foamular 400, I think the spongyness will be minimal.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #12

Ok. But if putting plywood directly over foam worked, then that's what people would be doing. But I think most people would put down sleepers. I can't imagine screwing plywood through the foam and concrete and expecting to have a solid floor. It's your project, but I think you would really regret it without sleepers.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:06 PM   #13

Re: Basement Floor Project

Did the engineering based on the specks and went with the green 3/4" rigid foam from lowes (HD only had 2x8), glued with construction adhesive and taped at seams 3m tape. Over that wil the red muffler paper from HD and the Shaw 8" plank over that (laminate wood looking like stuff). 2 years later it looks and has performed great. Floor is cozy in the winter. EVeryone loves it. Pool table was placed 16 months ago and has shown no effects on the floor. Love every bit of it. Total floor height was about 1 and 1/4".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement