Bamboo Flooring Install & Cleat/Nailer Questions - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bamboo Flooring Install & Cleat/Nailer Questions

I am about to install about 600sqft of 3/8" strand bamboo flooring and did some initial tests last night.

I have read so much about it that I am to the point where I am freaking out about every little detail!

I bought a cheap (yet very highly rated/reviewed) flooring nailer from harbor freight because it was the same price as renting a gun for 2 days. (http://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-1-...ler-97586.html)

It's for 16 ga cleat nails and my flooring manufacturer suggested 18 ga. So I bought it knowing I could try it out and return it if needed. The gun is actually pretty solid and shoots well. But some shots are ripping the tongue right off the bamboo.

Is this a 16 ga cleat nail issue? If so, wonder if 18 ga would work in this gun?! (is that dangerous to try?)

One thing I could try (had limited time last night), is reducing the PSI. I had it at 83ish and they recommend 75-90. I have a feeling that's not the issue as the cleats that went in nicely seemed to be sunk just right.

Lastly, the manufacturer of the flooring said 1-1/2" cleat nails. My flooring is 3/8" and my subfloor is 3/4". For some reason, I feel 1-1/2" is too long since the total thickness of the two is 1-1/8". Would it be okay if the nails are poking through the subfloor into the crawlspace (open air) below?

Thanks for all your help!

(ps. anyone near richmond, va and have an 18 ga floor nailer, i will rent it from you! haha)
mklaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

I know of a few people who have that nailer...no issues.

3/8" seems very thin for nailing, usually that thickness equals float or glue. The specs on your nailer say it only has a .75 and .5 base plate? Did you buy a new plate for 3/8"?

If the manufacturer suggested 18 gauge, that's what I would use. Especially with that thickness and especially with strand bamboo.

I have heard "strand" bamboo can act this way. (Never used it) It is very strong, but can flake when nailed.

Long nails are ok...you want some to grab the joists every once in a while. That's one of the reasons you go perpendicular.

What type of bamboo flooring is it? What is your subfloor made of?

Last edited by joemontana16; 04-24-2014 at 03:24 PM.
joemontana16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,356

Adding to what Joe said....

I just recently put down some bamboo flooring...except mine is 5/8"....3/8" sounds pretty thin.

I'm pretty cheap...but somethings I don't cut corners on....cheap floor is one of them...once it's down...not a whole lot you can do to 'upgrade' it later if you find out it's not working for you.

FYI....I paid $1.89 sq ft for my bamboo....I hope you got a lot better price.

Here is a pic....and, yes, I used the HF nailer....worked fine.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #4

sorry guys, it's 7/16", not 3/8" - still pretty thin

and no, I don't think they make different plates than what it comes with. I used shims to build my own plate and it seems to be fine. I lowered the PSI to 75ish and it actually seems to be doing well in my test run.

I am installing over 3/4" plywood in the rooms I rebuilt and over 3/4" plank in the other rooms where the floor didn't need to be replaced.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:48 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

I have installed a lot of bamboo. A 16 gauge nailer will leave little raises in the surface of the floor. It only shows up when you look across the floor into the light. I would suggest using a 18 gauge nailer. The recommended 1 1/2 inch clet is the best way to go. The clets are tapered so they have to get the wider part of the clet into the sub-floor. You won't see the raises in the floor until you get a few rows installed. This is floor experience. I had to pull 50 ft. of floor up and go buy a new gun. These guns are made for bamboo. I have 5 different floor nailers. Now I have 6. Good luck.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #6

Ut oh... we have problems!

So the dining room and one of the bedrooms had a brand new subfloor (3/4") and mostly new joists. The flooring has laid great in the dining room. The living room, we decided to use the old 3/4" plank sub floor because it wasn't rotted and looked to be pretty sound. Well... it wasn't and now the bamboo is bouncy in some spots in that room. F*CK!

SO, we are going to put a layer of 1/4" plywood over the old 3/4" plank in the other bedroom - then have a reducer transition between the two rooms. Do you think this will stiffen up the floor substantially? I hope so!
Old 04-29-2014, 02:39 PM   #7

1/4" ply will not stiffen anything. I know it is a lot of trouble, but you need to take out the plank and replace with 3/4" ply.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman58 View Post
1/4" ply will not stiffen anything. I know it is a lot of trouble, but you need to take out the plank and replace with 3/4" ply.
adding 1/4" ply over the plank won't help? hmm
Old 04-29-2014, 05:02 PM   #9

If you use a good hardwood flooring glue (Bostic's Best) and nail the ply every 4 to 6" it might work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement