Asbestos Vinyl Sheet Flooring Questions - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DR P

Old 03-26-2018, 01:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Asbestos Vinyl Sheet Flooring Questions

Hi, I apologize for this being so long, I understand if no one reads it. Anyway, this weekend I was an idiot. I was removing ceramic tile and hardiebacker from my 30 square foot bathroom in order to put new ceramic tile down.

After I got through the hardiebacker I found vinyl sheet flooring presumably original to the house which was built in 1973. For some reason (maybe that I'm a dumbass neophyte in dealing with flooring) asbestos didn't cross my mind. The vinyl flooring was missing in some sections, though in generally good shape. From looking online I found my new tile would sit better if I removed the vinyl due the missing pieces creating an uneven surface (looking back I should have just left it undisturbed and tiled over it).

So I did remove it, I used a scraper and a hammer and peeled it up, though it tore in like 5 square inch pieces. Most of the backing remains glued down to my plywood subfloor. I don't think I created much dust, if any, but it's hard for me to tell exactly because I hadn't totally cleaned up the mess from the hardiebacker. In the end the two messes got mixed together and I couldn't judge if any of the dust/mess was from the vinyl when it was all mixed in with the hardiebacker dust and crumbs.

Regretfully after vacuuming, sweeping and cleaning up I finally came across the fact that I was probably dealing with asbestos the whole time. I've since found that the backing is probably where most of the asbestos is. I freaked the **** out. I've mopped up and wiped everything down with wet cloth. I'm planning on getting a HEPA filter for my vacuums today and vacuuming the house.

I've basically got 4 questions.

1. How can I clean up better and hopefully mitigate asbestos floating around my house?

2. Do I, correctly this time, remove the rest of the backing before I lay the new backer and tile? Or should I just lay the backer down onto the backing and not risk disturbing it anymore? I should mention there's still about 1 square foot left of the vinyl flooring underneath the base of my toilet which I believe I've still got to remove to put the new floor in.

3. if anyone has any experience/expertise what are the chances that the flooring and backing didn't have asbestos in them? I have pictures if anyone wants to see them to help. The vinyl is made by Armstrong and is a white-ish faux-brick pattern, the backer looks and feels like white paper and the glue looks basically like what basic tan-colored wood glue looks like when it dries.

4. what can I do to decontaminate my vacuums?

I appreciate any help anyone can provide, and thanks for bearing with me for that novel I just wrote!

Last edited by jr_rider; 03-26-2018 at 01:48 PM.
jr_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2018, 04:01 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 618

Re: Asbestos Vinyl Sheet Flooring Questions

Welcome to the forums. What color is the adhesive under the vinyl? Overall, it's over, and you didn't die, so maybe caution in the future will help your longevity. You are right in that asbestos is only harmful when it is friable, and wetting it down was a good move. You may as well remove the toilet and the vinyl underneath. Just use a scraper to peel it up. Sanding it would make the asbestos friable, and hopefully you didn't do that.

Since the proper method of laying your 1/4" concrete backer would be to use thinset under it, for the most part the boogers you have on the floor won't make much difference, and it will lay flat.

Post some pictures of it so we can see what you see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2018, 04:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks, Larry. Yep, this has taught be to be very vigilant when doing any sort of demo in an older house.

The glue is kind of a tan/beige/very light brown color, looks very similar to wood glue. I didn't sand it. Just as you said, I scraped it up with a 5-inch wide scraper and a hammer. Below I've attached pictures of what's remaining and the vinyl.

This is the vinyl after removal:

Here's showing the subfloor and the backing still left, and slightly wet from cleaning:

Zoomed out pic of the current floor. Bath tub is on the right, in the upper-left you can see the toilet and the old ceramic floor, hardiebacker, and vinyl underneath in layers:

And finally a closeup of a hole in the backer with the subfloor underneath, made when removing the vinyl. You can faintly see some of the glue:

Last edited by jr_rider; 03-26-2018 at 04:25 PM. Reason: words
jr_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #4
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_rider View Post
Hi, I apologize for this being so long, I understand if no one reads it. Anyway, this weekend I was an idiot. I was removing ceramic tile and hardiebacker from my 30 square foot bathroom in order to put new ceramic tile down.

After I got through the hardiebacker I found vinyl sheet flooring presumably original to the house which was built in 1973. For some reason (maybe that I'm a dumbass neophyte in dealing with flooring) asbestos didn't cross my mind. The vinyl flooring was missing in some sections, though in generally good shape. From looking online I found my new tile would sit better if I removed the vinyl due the missing pieces creating an uneven surface (looking back I should have just left it undisturbed and tiled over it).

So I did remove it, I used a scraper and a hammer and peeled it up, though it tore in like 5 square inch pieces. Most of the backing remains glued down to my plywood subfloor. I don't think I created much dust, if any, but it's hard for me to tell exactly because I hadn't totally cleaned up the mess from the hardiebacker. In the end the two messes got mixed together and I couldn't judge if any of the dust/mess was from the vinyl when it was all mixed in with the hardiebacker dust and crumbs.

Regretfully after vacuuming, sweeping and cleaning up I finally came across the fact that I was probably dealing with asbestos the whole time. I've since found that the backing is probably where most of the asbestos is. I freaked the **** out. I've mopped up and wiped everything down with wet cloth. I'm planning on getting a HEPA filter for my vacuums today and vacuuming the house.

I've basically got 4 questions.

1. How can I clean up better and hopefully mitigate asbestos floating around my house?
use disposable wipes & wet/spray polish/cleaner
2. Do I, correctly this time, remove the rest of the backing before I lay the new backer and tile? No

Or should I just lay the backer down onto the backing and not risk disturbing it anymore? yes
I should mention there's still about 1 square foot left of the vinyl flooring underneath the base of my toilet which I believe I've still got to remove to put the new floor in. Keep wet & scrape

3. if anyone has any experience/expertise what are the chances that the flooring and backing didn't have asbestos in them? I have pictures if anyone wants to see them to help. The vinyl is made by Armstrong and is a white-ish faux-brick pattern, the backer looks and feels like white paper and the glue looks basically like what basic tan-colored wood glue looks like when it dries.
No use worrying now; can't change the past
4. what can I do to decontaminate my vacuums?
Not sure; might post that question in appliances?

I appreciate any help anyone can provide, and thanks for bearing with me for that novel I just wrote!
Folks worked directly with asbestos for decades & still lived for ages afterwards... encapsulate with thin set cement and move forward to tiling...

Peace
BayouRunner likes this.
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
asbestos , cleanup , safety , sheet vinyl , tile