Asbestos Mastic - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

asbestos mastic

I am renovating an apartment and have removed vinyl tiles from concrete floor. A good amount of mastic remains. I started trying to remove it using an eco-friendly solvent. However, even with considerable patience and effort, mastic remains. I have seen it alluded to in several threads that you can place a skim coat over the mastic that would both stabilize any possible asbestos and prepare the floor. I would like to use several flooring techniques. Tile in the bathroom. Laminate flooring in the living area. A stainable concrete in the kitchen. I have several questions. What products would produce a stable surface? Can I treat the kitchen area so that skim coat will be solid and the mastic will not bleed through. I am familiar with the precautions that must be taken because of the possible presence of asbestos in the mastic. Thanks for any info.
josec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

The black mastic is called 'cut back'---the asbestos is a minor concern as powdered-airborne asbestos fibers are the only think that can cause heath issues----and there is no likely hood of that sticky goo getting air borne.

Ceramic is easy---some modified thinsets will work right out of the bag---or use an unmodified with a liquid additive---check with the manufacturer--

Call the maker of the laminate for a recommendation---or wait for another member to answer.

You will never get the concrete clean enough to stain---that cutback has soaked in to deep to ever stain.

You 'eco friendly' solvent was a bad idea---that may have dissolved the cutback and driven it deep into the concrete and left behind solvent that will be a 'bond breaker' causing problems for the thinset--Mike--
ben's plumbing (01-03-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #3

I have only applied the solvent in the bathroom area and the kitchen area. Still have the living area left to do. Not sure what you mean by ceramic is easy. Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Ceramic tile can be installed right over cut back with nothing more than scraping off the goo with a razor scraper --then a two part thinset or a modified thinset approved for use over cut back--

The solvent could cause you problems,however---they are known to be bond breakers--better wash the area well--
Old 01-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #5

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement