Another Subfloor Question... - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Another subfloor question...

Two rooms on the second floor of my home have creaky subfloor that has a lot of bounce in between joists. After pulling the carpet, we found vinyl tiles and under those, the subfloor is covered in black mastic or something similar with a very strong chemical smell that has remained for two weeks, despite the windows being open that whole time. There was minor termite damage in a tiny section of the floor, so we cut that up and the joists and adjacent studs are all still solid.

The subfloor is 1/2" plywood. Joists are 16 inches spacing.

*We plan to carpet these rooms.

*No access from underneath without removing drywall.

*Home built in 1970. California.

Our initial idea was to pull the subfloor and replace it, screwing and gluing down the new stuff. Unfortunately, the subfloor goes under the walls, so this is easier said than done. What's the best way to handle this situation? Right now, we're weighing the following:

1. Patch the few bad spots in the existing subfloor w/ 1/2 inch plywood (and of course block below the patches). Add screws to secure the existing subfloor and patches to the joists. Paint/seal the surface of floor to lock in the odor.

2. Cut back the existing subfloor close to the wall, pull up everything else, replace w/ new 1/2 inch plywood. Or possibly 3/4 and patch around the edges with 1/4 to bring it up to match.

3. Add 3/4 inch plywood on top of the existing subfloor, glue it to the existing subfloor, screw it to the joists. Not sure if the transition from the rooms to the hall will be a big deal.

Are any of these options better than the other? Is there a better option?

Thanks for your help!
jondoe0069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

Re: Another subfloor question...

termites on 2nd floor is not a good sign IMO
any ideas from what direction they originated from?

FYI: http://asbestosglobal.org/asbestos-in-adhesives/
Your adhesive may be asbestos...

what type flooring is in hallway?
much better to encapsulate asbestos that disturb IMO

Peace
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2018, 03:38 PM   #3

We just purchased the house and quite a bit of termite work was done on both levels of the house and then it was fumigated. The issue should be under control and a lot of wood is exposed due to a recent repipe and there's no other damage visible.

I assume there's asbestos based on the year the home was built and the fact that there's other asbestos in the house (ducts, ceiling tecture, etc.).

The halls are 1/2 inch plywood as well and will be carpeted. We could always put 3/4 over the floors in the rooms and then sand down the transition to smooth it out, but that would need to get cut out if we ever put a hard floor down in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2018, 01:15 AM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Half-inch subfloor only works when it's covered with min. 5/8". Hard to believe your house has only a single 1/2" ply as the subfloor. Trampoline......

Adding 5/8" or 3/4" would be the easiest, but forget the idea of sanding at the doorways.

#2 would be a good method too. You'll need to add blocking at all perimeter walls, and install 5/8", shouldn't need any 1/4" for anything.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:27 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 17,818

There is not need to cut out anything under the bottom plates.
I use A Toe Kick saw when cutting tight to the walls, then an oscillating saw or a sawzall with a short, wide, course tooth blade to cut into the corners.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #6

I used a toe kick saw to cut the termite damage out (great suggestion). It looks like they liked eating the mastic coated board, as that's the only layer of the plywood that is damaged and it actually stops right at the wall where the mastic stops. Everything under the wall plate is solid and clean. All of the joists and studs are nice and clean with no damage.

I used a caliper and it turns out the floor boards are 5/8. I had my saw depth set to 1/2 and it cut through. That's why I assumed they were 1/2 inch. Looks like I'll need to re-calibrate.

I think what I'll do is block and patch the termite damaged board(s), then screw everything down (there are very few nails holding the boards down for some reason) and paint over the whole thing with a few coats to seal in the odor/asbestos.

Any recommendation for a paint/sealer that will keep that stuff in and not wear away as people walk on the carpet/padding over the next several years?

Thanks!! Such a great message board!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
subfloor