Advice On Spaces Between Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2019, 07:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 54

advice on spaces between flooring

Hi. I live in an old place with some classic wide-board pine flooring in the kitchen that I have a chance to refinish with some relative ease while the rest of the family is out of town in a couple of weeks. I plan to sand and polyurethane with a clear coat.

My question is this:
There are some goo- sized gaps between some of the boards (1/8 to 1/4 inch) that are great at collecting crumbs and other dirt. Is there a god way that anyone can recommend to close up those gaps before I polyurethane the floor?

An additional issue is that I will have to do this during a time of year when the boards will be swelled some from humidity. We heat with wood, so things tend to shrink in the winter, and we get seasonal gaps all over the house. I guess it would be best to do this in the winter for this reason, but for loads of other reasons that isn't practical.

THanks for any advice.
dweeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 70

Re: advice on spaces between flooring

The only thing I could think of is clear caulking because it will allow for the expansion and contracting. But Iíve never dealt with this. Hopefully others have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chadhyett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2019, 07:11 AM   #3

Thanks. That was kind of what I was thinking, though just not sure how that would react with the polyurethane. Would it cover and seal well? If I go that route I am gonna need to invest in a caulking company before I make my purchase because it might take a tractor trailer load to fill all the gaps.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2019, 07:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweeter View Post
Thanks. That was kind of what I was thinking, though just not sure how that would react with the polyurethane. Would it cover and seal well? If I go that route I am gonna need to invest in a caulking company before I make my purchase because it might take a tractor trailer load to fill all the gaps.....

Or deff a 32 oz gun. Test it out on some sample with the same wood. For what itís worth I tend to use water based poly so I donít get that amber hue. But either way make sure that caulk is completely dry before poly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chadhyett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:20 AM   #5

10-4. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement