Advice On Purchasing Hardwood Flooring. - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By ZZZZZ

Old 12-29-2017, 10:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 26

Advice on Purchasing Hardwood Flooring.

So I am interested in replacing the existing hardwood flooring on the main floor of my home. I was hoping to work on one room at a time starting in my media room because it’s kind of the ugliest room in the house. I wanted to complete the floors and paint and crown molding etc. before moving on to the next room. But I heard somewhere that I should purchase all my flooring at once since the current flooring flows from room to room on the main floor with no distinction. Is there truth to this are can I just purchase what I need for one room and then move onto the next and buy more flooring at that time?
JaysEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2017, 11:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,698

Re: Advice on Purchasing Hardwood Flooring.

It is almost always best to purchase the entire amount of flooring that you need, be it hardwood, laminate, tile or whatever.

Manufacturers make a certain quantity of each design, size, style, color, etc. When the run ends, they often move on to a different product. If they make another batch of the original product, it may differ slightly.

When you have purchased all that you need (plus 10-15% extra), you want to lay it down using pieces from different boxes to mix them in and hide any minor variations.

If you buy the flooring one room at a time, you run the risk of having slightly different colors in each room. That won't look good.

And do your patching and painting first, before putting down the new floor. Even if you can cover the new floor, there's no need to even take a chance of getting paint, drywall mud etc on it.
JaysEngineering (12-30-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2017, 12:04 AM   #3

Thank you ZZZZZ. Next question I have is regarding flooring type. I have a radiant heat system that was partially installed and I have 4 boys ranging from 10 years old to 1 Years old. What is a better type of flooring to go with. Solid Wood Floors, Engineered Wood Floors or Bamboo in your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2017, 09:16 AM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 712

Not stealing Z's thunder, but you won't be able to install nail down hardwood over the heating. Your best bet would be a click lock 5" wide engineered flooring. I have handscraped bamboo in our bedroom and it is boss. I plan on doing the other two bedrooms.......someday. They don't connect, so different styles/colors won't matter, but yours will.
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
JaysEngineering (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 09:42 AM   #5

What is the difference between between the nail down version and the click lock? I am assuming because the heating distribution panel have been installed underneath the sub floor that I risk damaging or puncturing the pex tubing with the nail down version? Is their engineered bamboo? I guess I am trying to look for the best option that is compatible with my open floor plan , durability and the heating system.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:09 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,122

3/4" thickness on real hardwood vs. about 3/8" on pre- engineered planks. ...

I used the click lock on our previous homes family room that I renovated. When done, the planks on the basement concrete floor looked nice, but dog nails scratched it easily. I put the underlayment pad under the planks to prevent moisture problem.

But when one walked on it, it was easy to tell it was a pre-engineered planked click lock floor, as it could be felt to "give" under the feet.

One of the reasons it ticks me off to hear realtors on TV and in real life show a home with pre-engineered 3/8 " plank floors and they tell their clients, " And THIS home has Hardwood floors". B.S. JMO

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 12-30-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:20 AM   #7

Yeah.... my OCD would bug the absolutely hell out of me if that is the case. I would really like to know what would prevent me from using standard Bamboo flooring. If I have to unmount the heating plates from the sub floor it’s more work but not difficult to do.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:28 AM   #8
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 712

I also put cleat down bamboo in 5/8" in my rental cabin. Tough stuff. Yeah, over the past 6 years or so it shows a few scratches, but mostly innocuous things. I would think if you wanted to staple/cleat it down, something would need to be done with the PEX so it could not be touched by the cleats/staples in the future, but still provide the heat you wanted. For that matter, you could go ahead with full 3/4" flooring if you were willing to do something with the PEX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement