Advice Installing Subfloor And Prefinished Hardwood Over Cement Floor Read More: Ht - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

advice installing subfloor and prefinished hardwood over cement floor

hey all,

I need some advice on how to best install a subfloor and hardwood floor. I'm moving into a condominium that has concrete floors. it's above grade (my unit is on the third floor). the living room already has hardwood but the bedrooms have laminate that I want to replace. I've never done flooring myself before so I have a few questions. I'm planning on installing bruce prefinished 3-1/4in x 3/4in flooring.

- is something like the Roberts 6 mil polyethylene moisturebarricade (from homedepot) adequate for a moisture barrier? since I'm not at or below grade, I'm expecting the floor to be pretty dry.

- what is the thinnest plywood I can use for subflooring? I've seen one website recommend 3/4", but most places just say install plywood, and don't recommend a thickness. I'd like to use the thinnest possible (my ceilings are only 8 foot so I want to lose as little height as possible. I'm not worried about doors/moldings/etc, as i know those will have to be adjusted and i'm ok with that)

- what is the best way to attach the plywood? using a ramset? tapcon screws? the ramset seems better but my only concern is the nails not being driven flush into the plywood, thus leaving a surface that's not perfectly smooth under the hardwood flooring. (those are the only two options I'm really familiar with, I'm sure there are others)

I'm sorry if these questions are covered in other posts but I wasn't able to find them.

thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited by happydude; 06-27-2014 at 12:47 PM. Reason: typo in title
happydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2014, 08:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,912

A plywood subfloor should never be added over concrete!
A better subfloor would be cork.
The floor if I would be doing it should be engineered hardwood installed as a floating floor.
No way would I be using Bruce flooring!
I've opened up boxes and had it curl up like a banana.
Used Armstrong and never had any issues.
rusty baker (06-27-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,042

" is something like the Roberts 6 mil polyethylene moisturebarricade (from homedepot) adequate for a moisture barrier? since I'm not at or below grade, I'm expecting the floor to be pretty dry."

Why do you think you need a moisture barrier????
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2014, 10:40 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 1,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
A plywood subfloor should never be added over concrete!
A better subfloor would be cork.
The floor if I would be doing it should be engineered hardwood installed as a floating floor.
No way would I be using Bruce flooring!
I've opened up boxes and had it curl up like a banana.
Used Armstrong and never had any issues.
Listen to Joe. I don't care what the Big Box stores or the DIY shows on TV say, plywood should NEVER be put on concrete. It's a failure waiting to happen. Listen to Joe. He s a general contractor and I have done flooring for 40 years. Neither one of us would do it.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement