Advice On How To Deal With Landing On Stairs - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Advice on how to deal with landing on stairs

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, and I really hope you can all help me.

We bought our house April 2013, and we later found out the previous owner was the worlds worst home renovator. When we viewed the house, it was gorgeous, and anyone who visits comments on how amazing some of the work is. BUT when you get closer than two feet, you can start to see the horrors.

There was brand new berber carpet installed up the stairs and on the whole 2nd floor, BUT its the kind that if one loop gets snagged the whole thread comes out. I was going to tackle this project last, due to the fact that it was a decent color and brand new, but we got a puppy who has put more snags in it than I thought possible.

My plan was to tear up the carpet and sand and then paint/stain the stairs. But when I saw what was under the carpet on the landing, I'm drawing a blank.

The square landing is made of particle board and seems to have a square cut out in the middle and put back in, and badly too, there is a noticeable gap. I have no idea what to do. Sand and fill gaps with wood filler? I don't want to replace the piece. The budget on this is almost nonexistent.

So, I know i wont be able to stain it, no matter what, so I'll be painting the landing and stairs to match. I just need to know how to get a seamless and smooth surface now.

Please help
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on how to deal with landing on stairs-20140210_102808.jpg  
tova1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,376

#1 That's OSB not particle board.
#2, Surely your not suggesting just painting the OSB and using that as a finished floor.
It was never intended as a finish floor and would look like poop.
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #3

What is OSB? We've always called this particle board or chip board.

This is my question, I don't know how to make this a smooth surface that will look good. Is it possible for wood filler and sand it gently then a few coats of primer?

What are my options? What will look good? My shredded carpet sure looks horrible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,376

Huge difference.
Particle board is saw dust and glue compressed. Gets wet once and it turns to oat meal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriented_strand_board
If you have to do this on the cheap just use some laminate floor.
There is no way to just paint OSB and have it look good or hold up under foot traffic.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 592

What are the stair treads made of? How much area is in need of covering?

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #6

It looks like the stairs are pine, which is what I was expecting, I was also expecting the landing to be as well. The landing is only one step up from the floor. I don't want to use laminate because the main floor flooring will change eventually and It should match. It makes more sense to match the stair treads. Since I can't use stain on the landing, I'll have to paint the landing and treads (both will be black). What can I do to the landing to prep it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement