3/8" Oak Unfinished Install; Change Direction Transition - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2018, 01:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 54

3/8" Oak unfinished install; change direction transition

Hi all. I am installing unfinished 3/8 Oak. I have a two part question:

First: We have removed a wall between kitchen and dining room and plan on extending the current Oak into the kitchen area. The new floor will be perpendicular to the current Oak and as per the picture, I have cut the current Oak directly across the room. At the transition (change in direction), my thought was to install biscuits to maintain an even transition. But I'm not sure if 3/8 is too thin to accommodate a #0 biscuit. I assume that the pros might install a spline, but my carpentry skills while relatively good, I am not sure that I want to experiment with routing in a spline across the length of existing floor. Alternatively, would face nailing and adhesive be sufficient. What would the pros do in this case?

Second: What size/type nails are best for 3/8 Oak?

Thanks in advance.

Hal
Attached Thumbnails
3/8" Oak unfinished install; change direction transition-img_0223.jpg   3/8" Oak unfinished install; change direction transition-img_0224.jpg  
natup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,674

Re: 3/8" Oak unfinished install; change direction transition

Expansion of the new floor may be a concern. Not so much for the end grain.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 368

It looks like the existing is solid 3/4" wood? If so, I think it would be difficult to try to interlock the new with the existing with a biscuit or with spline. This said, I think I would just glue the first row, this should keep it from moving in the future. Face nails probably aren't even needed if you glue it.

As for nailing the new 3/8" flooring I would suggest using an engineered flooring stapler. Here is a link of one of the ones that I have. https://www.amazon.com/BOSTITCH-EHF1.../dp/B003BVJU2O

If you don't want to have to buy one of these staplers, I believe Home Depot has them in their rental department. These staplers take a 20 gauge crown staple. I would suggest 1 1/2". Hope this helps.
Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2018, 03:38 PM   #4

The existing is definately 3/8 installed in the 1960s. It's just slightly shy of the new 3/8 Oak. I have a loaner stapler. Will check to see if it can handle staples. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 368

Oh I see. I would still suggest gluing the first row. Normally in this situation we would cut a groove into the existing wood with a router and add a spline. But with the flooring being that thin, I wouldn't even risk trying to do it. Glue will be just fine.
Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:04 PM   #6

Great, thanks. Will glue. Is there a particular glue specifically for solid hardwood flooring.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:06 PM   #7
Home Repairer

Rewards Points: 468

In all honesty, I don't care how skilled you are, you can not cut existing flooring straight enough to meld in a new floor. Also, hardwood should be installed perpendicular to the floor joists, not parallel to them. Logical best approach is to install a transition molding and start your new floor.
czizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:01 PM   #8

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure you are correct though. We previously had a wall removed. The floorer provided a seamless transition between the two rooms, different layout orientations, using the same type of 3/8 OAK. I'm just not certain whether he used a splice or not. I suppose one edge had to be glued. But it looks fantastic.

Regarding the orientation: The solid plank subfloor is laid diagonal. This allows either direction as per the original floor layout when the house was built in the early 1960s.

Appreciate you input though.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:06 PM   #9
Home Repairer

Rewards Points: 468

Quote:
Regarding the orientation: The solid plank subfloor is laid diagonal. This allows either direction as per the original floor layout when the house was built in the early 1960s.

Not talking about the direction of your subfloor planks, flooring should be installed perpendicular to the floor JOISTS. Would be odd that the plank subfloor is set perpendicular to joists and the floor is set at 45 degree, based on what I have seen.
czizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:06 PM   #10

And btw. I managed to get a straight cut with my circular saw with a metal guide screwed into the floor.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by czizzi View Post
Not talking about the direction of your subfloor planks, flooring should be installed perpendicular to the floor JOISTS. Would be odd that the plank subfloor is set perpendicular to joists and the floor is set at 45 degree, based on what I have seen.
Yes, I suppose things have changed since the 1960s. But the floors seem to be holding up well, though they do squeak. Anyways, in this part of the project (the kitchen) I'm going to tear up the subfloor, install a 3/4 inch plywood sub-floor, and install a herringbone pattern. Or perhaps reason will kick-in, before the 'divorce dust' settles and I'll lay perpendicular.

Hal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hardwood flooring , transition , unfinished