2nd Floor Landing Bamboo Install; Undercut Shoerail? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2014, 12:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 98

2nd Floor Landing Bamboo Install; Undercut Shoerail?

I'm installing a woven strand bamboo product in two hallways that abut the top of my stair case. I hope this is the correct term: shoerail. It is the lower baluster termination point for the banister system that surrounds the landing hallways, overlooking the foyer below. My shoerails are 6" x 1" oak with a beveled edge. They range from 12' to 14' in length. One of them curves in the final three feet before terminating at a wall.

I propose to install the bamboo running parallel with the shoe rail. The opposing side of the hall is gypsum board, which will be easily undercut and trimmed with a baseboard to accommodate the required 1/2" expansion gap. The expansion gap is problematic along the shoerail. Adding trim does not seem possible ... the shoerail's natural beauty, beveled edge, and a curve makes quarter round or any kind of molding undesirable. My only hope is to undercut the shoerail. It seems to be shimmed about 1/4" off the subfloor. So I'm thinking the required 5/8" vertical gap would remove the bottom 3/8" of the 1" shoerail, if I can conduct a precise cut. The cut will have to be close to 1" deep (1/2" for the expansion spec, the rest to hide the board edge). With 5" of unmolested shoerail remaining in contact with shims/subfloor, I don't foresee a compromise of structural integrity. But from an aesthetic standpoint, the penalty for a mistake with the undercut would be steep.

So my questions are: 1) Does this approach sound feasible, and does anybody have experience doing something similar? 2) If it's worth tackling, what's the absolute best saw for the job? I have a Bosch 1640 VS Fine Cut saw, that was been very accurate for cutting door jambs and drywall for the same purpose. I usually run the saw blade on some sort of guide rail for thickness, as opposed to free-handing on a marked line. It works great. But I'm not opposed to renting something better, if it exists.

I'd appreciate feedback from anyone with insight.

Last edited by zippinbye; 12-29-2014 at 12:54 AM. Reason: sp
zippinbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014, 08:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,912

Pictures are always nice.
Is this a laminate flooring?
Even if you can undercut that part how do you plan on trimming it out where the stairs are and not end up with a trip hazard?
This topic has came up many times on all the DIY sites and almost every time any of the fulltime flooring guys strongly suggest not using laminate if that's what your trying to do on a second floor or on the stairs.
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,650

I agree, pictures would be great, which of the below pictures do you have, the first is called a landing tread, the second is a shoerail.
Attached Images

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014, 04:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
I agree, pictures would be great, which of the below pictures do you have, the first is called a landing tread, the second is a shoerail.
Shoerail. Mine is flat on top.

The product is Wellmade Golden Arowana Uniclic carbonized strand woven bamboo plank, as available through Costco.

Sorry. Struggling with pics. Tried to get 4 in one post, can only get one and have no control over orientation. Just turn your computer upside down!
Attached Thumbnails
2nd Floor Landing Bamboo Install; Undercut Shoerail?-image.jpg  

Last edited by zippinbye; 12-29-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:06 PM   #5

Hopefully this and the previous pic tell the story. Sorry again for the rotation ... doing this from my phone. I'm sure a could do better from my computer, but this is what I have to work with for now. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Old 12-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 750

see if this works.
Attached Images

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:57 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 750

....and this....
Attached Thumbnails

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
Ole Wood Worker

Thanks Jaz, I was hoping you would see this.

That is a landing tread, noised, a shoe rail has the center plowed out.

Jim
Old 12-30-2014, 12:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
see if this works.
Indeed it does. Thanks for the "attitude adjustment" JazMan!

I'm not sure what "the center plowed out" means in regard to my shoerail (BigJim comment), it you seem to have a decent view of the situation now.
Undercutting that shoerail is the matter at hand ...
Old 12-30-2014, 12:32 AM   #10
Ole Wood Worker

Hopefully Jaz or one of the flooring pros will answer this one.

I am not saying for you to do this but I am saying if I had it to do I would use a jamb saw but those things can be dangerous if a person don't know how to use them well.

Jim
Old 01-01-2015, 12:04 PM   #11

Anybody?
Old 01-10-2015, 03:29 PM   #12

Still no opinions on the shoerail undercut?
Old 02-02-2015, 10:33 PM   #13

One more bump toward the top in hopes of a weigh-in on this issue.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:19 PM   #14
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,334

I might be one of the few that understands and appreciates your problem.

I'm I'm understanding the issue....you want to run the bamboo parallel with the 'shoe rail', but your problem is where it starts to curve. Man, that is going to be a b!tch to put in.

The 'standard' is for flooring to run with the longest span. Hence, you are correct in going that way. Going perpendicular is going to look odd.

The solid bamboo I have is also 5/8". If I'm understanding your first post correctly, your shoe rail is 5/8" thick (I'm more inclined to think 3/4"), but it's about 1/4" up off the floor.

If it was me.......

I'd make a cardboard template of the curved section....with the cardboard going under the shoe rail.

Next, I'd lay out the flooring pieces and mark where to cut. Cut said pieces....understanding the outside radius is more than than the outside radius of your shoe rail.

Then...using a router with a bit of the same radius as the shoe rail, route the inside edge of the bamboo.

With luck it will bump up against the shoe rail as you want...with it tucked under slightly.

Here is a pic of a very small section of my stairs where I had to do some similar. Compared to your task, this is nothing.

Hope this helps....heck, I hope I'm even close to what you are talking about.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement