Weekend Quickies (Small DIY Projects) - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree23Likes

Old 01-20-2019, 06:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 3,100

Weekend Quickies (Small DIY projects)

My husband and I try to do at least one project every weekend and they are often DIY remodeling things so I thought it’d be fun to share our escapades with everyone.

This weekend’s quickie involved some wood and the garage.

Weekend Quickies (Small DIY projects)-20190115_042010.jpg

+ cleaning fairy =

Weekend Quickies (Small DIY projects)-20190119_155159.jpg

+ wood =

Weekend Quickies (Small DIY projects)-20190119_160323.jpg

+ screws =

Weekend Quickies (Small DIY projects)-20190119_171135.jpg

+ cabinet =

Weekend Quickies (Small DIY projects)-20190119_172055.jpg

This project is prep work for the eventual home of

Weekend Quickies (Small DIY projects)-20190120_021023.jpg

My HE front loader’s currently live inside the downstairs guest bathroom we’ll eventually be remodeling. Not only are the hookups backwards (aka the washer hook up is on the right, instead of the left which means the washer door is always in the way of putting clothes in the dryer. [Dryer door hinge side is typically reversible, the washer door hinges are not,]) but the spin cycle shakes the house something fierce and I hate needing to grab a step ladder in order to get into the cabinets over them.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2019, 07:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,597

Re: Weekend Quickies (Small DIY projects)

Nice, you have twin Ferrari’s there.
Two Knots is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2019, 09:25 AM   #3
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,926

Not sure what you plan to put in that cabinet, but that robust framing on it will surly hold it.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2019, 09:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,122

Nice! I find I get more done if I break a bigger job into little bits. Sometimes getting one little bit done motivates me to go ahead and finish the next bit, too. For example:

Project: Total renovation of a spare bedroom/future office.
Current phase: Have to get years' worth of accumulated junk out of the room, first.
Today's bit: On my 3rd recycle bin, going through old papers from an overflowing file cabinet. Scanning the things I need to keep, shredding what needs shredding, recycling the rest. Had a nice little bonfire last night before the snow hit, burning off a 12-gallon tote full of compressed shredder output in the fire pit.

(And I'm glad you added the phrase in parentheses to the title. If you hadn't, and you started the post off with "My husband and I," I would have thought I was in the wrong forum.)
Drachenfire likes this.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Knots View Post
Nice, you have twin Ferrari’s there.
Isn't that red fantastic?!? I squealed excitedly about it while my husband rolled his eyes with the sales guy

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Old 01-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachenfire View Post
Not sure what you plan to put in that cabinet, but that robust framing on it will surly hold it.
Bleach, my fancy iron and it's distilled water bottle, and a stain stick!

It actually came from my husbands shop, used to be filled with spray paint, tape, and glue type stuff, but he picked up a couple of those taller metal shop cabinets so I pilfered it before he could give it away :D

Old 01-20-2019, 05:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Nice! I find I get more done if I break a bigger job into little bits. Sometimes getting one little bit done motivates me to go ahead and finish the next bit, too. For example:

Project: Total renovation of a spare bedroom/future office.
Current phase: Have to get years' worth of accumulated junk out of the room, first.
Today's bit: On my 3rd recycle bin, going through old papers from an overflowing file cabinet. Scanning the things I need to keep, shredding what needs shredding, recycling the rest. Had a nice little bonfire last night before the snow hit, burning off a 12-gallon tote full of compressed shredder output in the fire pit.

(And I'm glad you added the phrase in parentheses to the title. If you hadn't, and you started the post off with "My husband and I," I would have thought I was in the wrong forum.)
It is a great idea to break your projects into sections and tick them off like that! My husband and I have been doing it for decades and it works great. You get a little "bing" of satisfaction and accomplishment which helps motivate you to continue. My husband prefers written lists, but I've "modernized" it a bit for myself; I have a 12 page "todobook" word document that lists everything I want to do by room and I try to do something off it every day.

(And yes, I am a tad punny )

Old 01-20-2019, 05:42 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,597

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post
Isn't that red fantastic?!? I squealed excitedly about it while my husband rolled his eyes with the sales guy

It's outrageous, I love red! I would have picked the same color!

Red makes everything look better!
Two Knots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Knots View Post
It's outrageous, I love red! I would have picked the same color!

Red makes everything look better!

I totally agree, red is my favorite color. All of my kitchen stuff is red, I have red sofa's and recliners too. One of our boys picked his bedroom colors some ages ago; two fire house red walls, two white walls, and blue carpet. The "adopted" 25+ year old roommate has the room now and loves the 'Merica theme (he even kept the fireman light switch cover )

Old 01-20-2019, 06:21 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,314

Quote:
I totally agree, red is my favorite color. All of my kitchen stuff is red, I have red sofa's and recliners too.
Hmmm.....I just picked up a new set of cookware last month. Ya like?

It's anodized red, so it has a clear candy apple appearance. I added a couple extra skillets too.
Attached Thumbnails
Weekend Quickies (Small DIY projects)-epicurious.jpg  
Two Knots likes this.
BrownEyedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedGuy View Post
Hmmm.....I just picked up a new set of cookware last month. Ya like?

It's anodized red, so it has a clear candy apple appearance. I added a couple extra skillets too.
They are a fantastic color! How do they work?

I've gotten totally spoiled from using AmeriCrafts so I have a hard time finding a lighter weight set I like. We'd gotten a set of Rachael Ray red enameled non-stick's for the kids to use (much lighter weight and if they scratched them up it was no biggy,) so that's what I'm using now. I really like the performance to weight ratio, but the color fades on them even though they are hand-washed 90% of the time

Weekend Quickies (Small DIY projects)-20190120_152158.jpg
Two Knots likes this.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:47 PM   #12
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,926

Quote:
It actually came from my husbands shop, used to be filled with spray paint, tape, and glue type stuff, but he picked up a couple of those taller metal shop cabinets so I pilfered it before he could give it away :D
It is not called pilfering, it is called re-purposing.
Mystriss likes this.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:07 PM   #13

Quote:
They are a fantastic color! How do they work?
I absolutely love them, but I didn't buy them to be light. They are thicker than typical aluminum, and even have ferrous inserts so they will work with induction top stoves. I'm thinking about getting one of those portable ones just to try out.

I still had/have a nice set, and didn't need these, but when I saw them at Sam's Club, I couldn't pass them up for the ridiculous price. The 2 shiny attachments are a small steamer and colander, and the glass lids are way better quality than my old set.

I made the decision that these will never go in the dish washer. But they are also worthy of being displayed. If I can get my good camera working tonight, I'll finally get around to writing up a thread about the pan rack. I just found the battery cover a couple minutes ago, so hopefully that's all that was stopping it from working.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedGuy View Post
I absolutely love them, but I didn't buy them to be light. They are thicker than typical aluminum, and even have ferrous inserts so they will work with induction top stoves. I'm thinking about getting one of those portable ones just to try out.

I still had/have a nice set, and didn't need these, but when I saw them at Sam's Club, I couldn't pass them up for the ridiculous price. The 2 shiny attachments are a small steamer and colander, and the glass lids are way better quality than my old set.

I made the decision that these will never go in the dish washer. But they are also worthy of being displayed. If I can get my good camera working tonight, I'll finally get around to writing up a thread about the pan rack. I just found the battery cover a couple minutes ago, so hopefully that's all that was stopping it from working.
I'll see if I can spot a set up here and check em out. The color fade is a bit disappointing. My black stainless & enamel set from rachael ray doesn't suffer from the same fading and it's induction ready, so I'm not sure why the red fades on me.

You still use a camera? I have two of them that are just a few years old, but my galaxy note has better resolution so I just use it anymore :P

Old 01-21-2019, 05:17 AM   #15

Quote:
I'll see if I can spot a set up here and check em out. The color fade is a bit disappointing. My black stainless & enamel set from rachael ray doesn't suffer from the same fading and it's induction ready, so I'm not sure why the red fades on me.
You can order them on-line if you wish. Sam's club has a special package that's not normally available elsewhere, but many other stores carry the brand. I bought the extra 2-skillet set from Amazon to give me more skillet sizes than the Sam's Club version didn't have.
Quote:
You still use a camera? I have two of them that are just a few years old, but my galaxy note has better resolution so I just use it anymore :P
I have a Conon EOS Rebel, but when I took the camera to a project site to take hundreds of pictures, I installed the large external battery pack. When I was done, I couldn't find the battery compartment door for the normal internal battery.

Last night.....due entirely to your thread....thank you....me and my son tore the house apart, and I finally found the battery door....right where it belonged....in the camera bag. The door has a little tab that disables the camera unless you close the door.

I tried to use my cell phone camera for weeks, but the lighting totally hosed it up. Only the Canon camera could pull off the tough lighting. Otherwise, I had been meaning to do that writeup for several weeks.

=========================
P.S. Thanks to your thread....I finally got the writeup completed on my hanging pan rack a short time ago. (Insomnia!!) You can see it here:

https://www.diychatroom.com/f49/new-...n-rack-651455/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement